1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slightly Above-Average Super Bowl Trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 26, 2013.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I didn't bring my 'A' game for these questions so I expect you guys to whisk through them in a couple of hours. Try to go on memory first because rushing to Google. Will try better for later batch of questions.

1) What was the largest point spread in Super Bowl history and did the favorite cover it? Super Bowl XXIX: Niners were 18.5-point favorites over the Chargers. San Francisco covered.

2) Two kickers hold the record for shortest FG made. Name the two kickers and the distance of the field goal. Jim Turner, Jets (III) and Mike Clark, Cowboys (VI), 9 yards (a Super Bowl record that will never be broken)

3) Who was the first quarterback to complete 20 or more passes in a Super Bowl? Ken Anderson, Cincinnati in Super Bowl XVI (yep, 16 Super Bowls before one guy passed the 20 completions barrier.)

4) Who was the first non-quarterback named Super Bowl MVP? Chuck Howley

5) Four Super Bowl teams were held without an offensive touchdown. Name the team and the Super Bowl. Dolphins in VI. Redskins in VII. Vikings in IX. Giants in XXXV (edit, add the Bengals in SB XXIII and make it five teams, thank you Batman)

6) Three defensive linemen have been named Super Bowl MVP. Name them. Randy White, Harvey Martin and Richard Dent

7) Who was the first 100-yard rusher in a Super Bowl? Matt Snell, New York Jets

8) Who was the first defensive player named Super Bowl MVP? Chuck Howley

9) Who was the first and only running back to record over 100 yards receiving in a Super Bowl game? Roger Craig, 101 yards in Super Bowl XXIII

10) Who was the first and only Super Bowl MVP from a non-winning team? Chuck Howley

11) Who was the first player to score on a two-point conversion in Super Bowl history? Mark Seay (No one got this one, he caught the pass from Stan Humphries)

12) Name the two Super Bowls where both starting quarterbacks were held under 50% completion. Super Bowl V and XXXV

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Aren't 8 and 10 the same answer? Chuck Howley of Dallas, Super Bowl V?

Hell, he might be the answer to No. 4, too, because the first two were Starr and the third was Namath, right?

3. nafselon

Yep, I was just trying to be clever. 4, 8 and 10 are the same person, linebacker Chuck Howley. Super Bowl IV MVP was Kansas City quarterback Len Dawson.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

6. Harvey Martin, Randy White, Richard Dent.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Throw out some guesses:

1) Rams vs. Patriots (17 points) and no.
    11) Lance Moore?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1. I believe the Colts were 18-point favorites in III (no).

5. Dolphins in VI. Redskins in VII. Vikings in IX. Giants in XXXV.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. Matt Snell of the Jets?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Kenny King - Raiders, XV vs. Eagles?

Checked - 93 yards.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For No. 5, the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII also did not score on offense. Stanford Jennings returned a kickoff for a TD, and they kicked three FGs in a 20-16 loss to the 49ers (yes, I knew this without looking it up).

10. nafselon

Ahh snookers, good call.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Super Bowl XXIX: Niners were 18.5-point favorites over the Chargers. San Francisco covered.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Roger Craig is the running back with 100 receiving yards. I don't know which one.

Draft saved Draft deleted