1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sliding into DMs... and out of a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typefitter, May 6, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not sure if you guys saw the latest career self-immolation on Twitter. (Maybe this should go on the Twitter is Awesome thread.) Anyway, a reporter at the Seattle Times starts DMing a woman writer about work stuff, and then slips into some creepy compliment territory, and then decides to swing for the fucking fences with a "pickup line" that's NSFW, non-sensical, and extremely no way out.

https://splinternews.com/seattle-times-journalist-suspended-after-harassing-writ-1834539645

Woman he wrote was not having his shit, took it to the Twitters, wrote his employer, and posted his name. Can't imagine he's long for the Times. But maybe? Oh, also he's married.

I was thinking about this last night. I would never in a million years do something like this, and I'm no great judge of what's appropriate behaviour. I honestly don't think I have any idea what some significant percentage of men are up to. What were they up to before #MeToo? What on Earth was he thinking? I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, and I have the sex drive of a particularly hormonal 17-year-old boy, and even I'm not this dumb or horny. I'm sort of gobsmacked by the whole thing.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /looked forward in time
    //saw 14,000,065 futures
    ///in how many of those does that work
    ////on to the 14,000,066th future...

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

just check the time stamps on those DMs. 3:10-3:55 a.m.? My boy was drunk or whacked out on drugs. Either way, he should be gone for good and should probably get some help.

4. typefitter

That's her phone, I think, Eastern time. (I think she's in New York.) He's in Seattle. Still late, but not middle-of-the-night late.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Update, 05/06/19, 5:00 a.m. ET: Twitter, excelling at supporting victims of harassment as always, temporarily suspended Jane’s account after she tweeted a common expression. Almost a quickly they unsuspended the account."

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know that is? He’s still searching for some fulfillment because the marriage, work and hobbies were not enough. Life’s not that hard IMHO, you’ve got to pay attention to the little stuff.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was pointed out in the comments (I don't know enough about this stuff) that the gross comment meant that he gratified himself, and then came on the girls picture.

That's pretty damn disgusting and I am sure a smarter person than myself can explain all the male power crap that goes behind that.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect this guy is trying to get himself enrolled in alcohol rehab before the paper has a chance to call him in and fire him.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. typefitter

I will admit to feeling relief that we weren't talking about a different journalist named Michael Rosenberg, whom I like very much.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just read the dm's.
    Good. Grief.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There was a reporter at my local paper who once accidentally added the hashtag #cumtribute to a college sports update post. I don't know how it happened (that's a hell of an autocorrect), but it was up for several hours until someone finally alerted the reporter to it.

Be careful.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had to look up "AF" the first time I saw it in a social post. #old

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted