1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sleeping on the couch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Nov 18, 2010.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

How many times has this happened:

You can't keep your eyes open on the old couch, and can't force yourself to go to bed. You finally do, to a bed that's infinitely more comfortable and luxurious ... and can't get to sleep.

On a somewhat unrelated note, when in doubt, take the offer of a couch at a friend's house instead of the three-hour drive home, as I found out last night. Got pulled over three times for a headlight that is scheduled to be fixed this afternoon. The last stop was literally two blocks from my apartment. Guess which one gave me a ticket.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I can't sleep on the couch. I ache all day if I do. I have the joints of an old man and I'm just in my mid 30s.

3. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Happens to me all the time. And on the couch, I can doze easily sleeping on my side, but in bid, no way in hell. It's a crazy world.

Also, I've been pulled over a half dozen times for a headlight being out. Only twice did I get tickets, and once I even had a receipt for the new light I had installed at Pep Boys that day. Pep Boys, in their infinite wisdom, changed the wrong light. I fought that ticket and won.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I hope you at least finished the beer before you went to bed...otherwise, that's alcohol abuse!

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Right now I have an IKEA matress and a hand me down couch, and I alternate between the two. The bed has nice sheets that I bought a couple of months ago, but the couch is in front of my only TV, and I long ago got in the habit of sleeping with it on, so when I feel the need to do that, I go to the couch.

Neither are tremendously comfortable. I'll wake up in the bed with a numb or tingling arm (sometimes both) or forehead if I fall asleep with my hand on it, shake it off and go back to sleep. It doesn't happen as much on the couch, but I'm more likely to have an achy back there. I have a blow up bed for guests that I might try next.

I plunked down damn near $1,000 almost seven years ago for a pillowtop queen, and that was better, but not so great that I felt it was worth it. The bedroom where I am now is probably too small for it, and it'd be a huge hassle to move it from where it is now, so I've given it to my mom and will probably buy a new double mattress at some point.

If I could get the voices in my head to sing lullabys at night, I'd be set.

6. Nothing better than getting home from work on Saturday late morning, eating late breakfast/early lunch, laying down on the couch to college football games and waking up three hours later when the good games start. Wife always asks me to go upstairs and I think, "Why in the hell would I do that? This is fricken perfect"

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I love my bed. It's a king and I have as much room as I need, but when I'm tired I'll watch a tv show and barely make it through the opening act.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Falling asleep on the couch on a Saturday or Sunday watching football is sweet.

9. baskethead

baskethead Member

My wife snores. I snore. I have to go to the bathroom at least once a night. She drools and talks in her sleep. I move around a lot in my sleep. I have slept on the couch for years. We both wake up in much better moods. Yes, we miss sleeping together now and then, but not enough to sleep uncomfortably.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I hate our leather couch because its too damn cold and sticks to you when its hot.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I can't get comfortable on any couch. And my bed -- a king size pillow top I got a few months ago -- is pretty freaking sweet.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A great sleep? It depends on the couch.

When I was first married and we'd visit the in-laws for a weekend, my wife's old bed (a single) was still set up in her old room, and there was a "two person" sleeper sofa downstairs. By "two person," they must have meant people the size of gnomes.

Whatever your size, that sleeper sofa mattress was the most uncomfortable contraption you can imagine, with iron bars seemingly rammed into your back however you laid on it. But as a sofa, it was great for snoozing.

So the obvious answer was to have Mrs. Coco sleep in her old room and I just slept like a baby on that sofa, with the horrible sleeper bed still tucked inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted