1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sleeping on the couch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not for being in trouble.
    Is there something weird with me? While I love my bed and sharing it with Mrs. Rhody, there's something nice about laying down and falling asleep on the couch. Maybe it's because I'm too lazy to go upstairs, take my contacts out and brush my teeth. When I get upstairs, I'm pumped to be in bed, but if I sleep on the couch I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    Anyone else do this?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I like the couch.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

YGBFKM will be all over this thread. He slept on a couch for years and didn't even own a bed. He finds nothing weird about that.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

On nights prior to a day off (of which there are many now -- suck it, journalism!), I always fall asleep on the new couch in the basement. If I knew it wouldn't lead to immediate divorce, I'd sleep there every night. But it would, so I don't. I totally could, though. Silliest couch ever.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No way. I might have agreed with this until recently, but then we got our new bed and it is MAGICAL. Take it away, Drew Magary:

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The experience depends on the quality of the couch. Two couches ago I had one that was squishy, too small for me to lay in head-to-toe (and I'm not that tall) and a pain on which to sleep. The last one was firm without being hard, long enough with a couple inches to spare and had corners that made good places to rest one's head. I really liked that couch and spent at least as many nights there as on the queen-size bed that came with the apartment.

It's not weird at all, especially if you're not one who tosses and turns at night. I'm not married, though, so our situations aren't completely simiar.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I doze off there on occasion, but I've never spent the night there. Maybe I just need a more comfortable couch. I know if I sleep there, my back and neck will bother me the entire next day.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I should mention that I'm 6-5. Rare is the couch that can properly accommodate my lankitude.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's the thing.....we just bought a new bed also, and it's the best damn bed I've ever had. Love it. But I'm telling you, my basement sofa is that damn comfy. Really, it's epic. I wish I knew what it's called; I'd link it. But, I have no clue. Just that we got it from Ashley Furniture and it costs more than my life is worth.

Edit: Here it is....

http://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/catalog/product.aspx?group=LivingRoomFurniture&category=LivingRoomSectionals&id=68404U2&spi=0&ref=search-t

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No couch is as comfortable as my Heavenly Mattress. But I've found myself asleep on the couch, fully clothed, TV blaring, half a beer on the table, at 4 am a few times.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

When I stay at my brother-in-law's house, I take the couch in the basement. For reasons I can't explain, I never sleep better than when I'm on that couch.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Falling asleep on the couch after work/immediately after dinner and then again LATE at night are seriously two of my favorite things to do.

It started when I was in high school, I'd get off the bus (I lived in the countryside) and would fall asleep on the couch at like 3:30 p.m.

And, in high school, I never had a "bed time" anymore so I'd do my dammedest to stay awake for the late shows (and usually fail) and instead fall asleep on the couch.

I loved my parents couch so much that my dad said I could have it when I moved out. I moved out in my second year of college. Just basically up and left when a sweet deal was found on rent near my school.

I packed up and left in about a day and took the couch with me. My parents came home to no couch. They were pissed for about five minutes, that's when I said "hey, you made the deal." My dad laughed and starting furniture shopping that night.

I put the couch in my bedroom. There was about two or three feet between my twin bed on one wall and couch on the other for about three years in college.

I'd often sleep on the couch instead of the bed.

Draft saved Draft deleted