1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sleep

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Jul 6, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

No idea ... we had two c-sections. I was just using the phrase as a writing device.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That phrase reminds me of "Lightning Crashes."

Hmm, when is Live coming back to my shit towne? I bet soon. :D

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

How will you know? The tall grass makes it hard to see beyond your property.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If I can get it, 9 hours works for me.  One of the saving graces of being middle aged is that I've learned to nap.  A vital skill.  My 'day job' starts at 7:30 am and if I have rehearsal, it's usually from 7:30 to 11:00 PM.  Napping is the only way I survive.  Also learned how to sleep on planes this year which is beyond wonderful.

I don't know how it works for sports writers but for performers, during the rehearsal period for a new show you're working 10 AM to 6PM usually.  Then performances kick in and you suddenly have to shift to a night time schedule.  It's making the transition from one to the other that kills you.

And performing while still working a 'day job'? Death.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck you buckweaver!! I alone wanted to make the Lightning Crashes reference!!!  :D

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awesome.

I admit my youth, that I never got to see Live in their quote "heyday" of the mid-1990s. I first saw them in 2000. I have seen them six times since, in four different cities, most recently this past May at the Henry Fonda Theatre in Hollywood.

My eighth Live show will be in the fall, when they come back to SoCal again. I never miss 'em. Still put on the most passionate show I've ever seen. Not the rockingest, or anything else, but the most passionate. Gets better every time.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly agree. I've seen them about a half dozen times in various settings ... small theaters, big arenas, festivals (still the best Summerfest show I've ever been to) and spacious amphitheaters (saw them for the first time at Marcus in 1995).

A band that's comfortable in any setting.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I need at least seven hours of sleep. I used to need at least eight, but I guess I thrive better on less in my older age. ::) However, when I was in school I'd fail at pulling all-nighters - by 2:30 in the morning, I was out like a light. Also, I cannot be suddenly awoken from sleep, or I'm a bear for the day. To which my editor said, "Don't ever have kids, then. You'll never get a good night's sleep."

I'll second melatonin. You wake up feeling very rested after a night's sleep.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Working as sex-toy salesmen in a convent?

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Good lord... I inadvertently started a Live-jack.

Is this a first?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, this is at least the fourth time on this board that I've continued a Live-jack. They'll never get old to me. ;D

And to continue the 'jack, the reason they're still so good in concert is because they generally play intimate venues now, where all the fans are diehards like me who know the words to every song on every album, and Ed doesn't have to sing a damn thing if he didn't want to; he could just hold the mic out to the crowd and we'd supply the rest.

I always leave their shows feeling so uplifted. Especially with the way they always end their shows ...

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm in bed for 12 hours, sleeping between 10-11.

I love those moments just before you fall asleep that you're at peace with your thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted