1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate's Jack Shafer: Don't let writers go on TV

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Soon as I can get that voice-over gig on the TV remake of "The Untouchables," I'm taking it. Even if I have to cheat and work just 7-hr days for my newspaper.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sir,

So you just show up for your radio gig and talk--no prep. I've seen radio guys who work a bit harder than that and actually do some reporting but the way you paint it they must be as rare as California condors.

I don't know about "shorting." "Betraying" would be an editor's take. I wouldn't put it that way but it is like playing or two teams in the same league. Yeah, maybe you're giving your best all 55+ hrs a week but to some extent the newspaper is paying you for your best 40.

By definition, your newspaper or whatever competes not just with other newspapers but other media outlets. I'd almost encourage the television types to write columns for newspapers--the ones I've seen are usually so bad that they're not advertising the network/station, they're actually exposing the perps. They drag down the quality of a paper a bit but they often look pretty lame.

Here's one: You are working as a baseball columnist for the paper and your three-hour radio gig is on a licensed carrier. Problem? Of course. Doesn't matter if your column/opinions/reportage is affected or limited at all, it's the perception of compromise that counts. Not just that you are compromised but that your employer is somehow compromised as well, guilt by association.

YHS, etc

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Media outlets of all forms have gotten way too comfortable with blurring and crossing the lines of competition. Borne out of desperation to chase an audience, any audience.

Also, it's sad to see more and more of them acting as if ethics are a luxury for boom times, optional at best during tough times. When sports journalists do this, it reinforces the second-class, "toy department" image, even if the news side folks are doing the same things.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Williams,

Yes.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted