1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate vs. Salon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 19, 2009.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain what the difference is between the two sites?

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I read Slate even though I disagree with many of their viewpoints (especially at the top of their food chain) and find some of their writers quite odious in personality/opinion, but not in crat. I guess that's the mark of good writing and a good website. I do appreciate how timely they are and how much content they churn out daily. One of my go-to sites when I have time to kill in a professional setting where I don't feel comfortable doing personal business or playing games online.

3. I don't mean to be snarky at all, but...first and foremost, they're different sites. They have different writers and different recurring features.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'm a Slate addict. It's smart, clever and very engagingly written. I never read Salon. Don't you have to pay for it?

5. As far as I know, you only have to watch a brief ad before viewing content. There are paid "Premium" subscriptions which, as far as I know, allow you only to skip the ads. (There are other benefits, but they aren't important.)

The pre-content ads have really hurt it, even though they're about five seconds long.

6. And Slate is much better, I agree. The best thing about Salon, in my opinion, is Glenn Greenwald, the blogger.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Oh. OK. I think you used to have to pay or something. That's why I never started.

Draft saved Draft deleted