1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: Time to pay the college athletes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I didn't see this posted yet and I thought it was interesting.

Dude makes some solid points.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/01/paying_college_athletes_a_point_by_point_evisceration_of_the_ridiculous.single.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Baron's gonna be pissed at you.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's working my corners, alright.

I've said it before, and I know there's slim to zero chance of it happening tonight, but I'd love it if all the players in tonight's game just plop on their asses at midfield and sit there until they get the same bonuses their coaches get. Time to destroy the NCAA.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

In the first "myth" the writer doesn't have any supporting evidence to show that it's a myth. Simply points out that winning teams are followed more than losing teams. You could argue that people watch winners, regardless of the names on the back.

After that I stopped reading.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

FoxNews doing this story after the commercial break.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let me guess, they'll say Obamacare is the reason why college athletes can't get paid?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of these poor, exploited athletes arguments.

They're based on the premise that every college student is Johnny Football -- a meathead begrudgingly biding his time until he can get the hell out of college.

Seriously, that's what, one percent of the athletes? Probably not even that. The vast, vast majority are there for the education, and turning college sports into strictly mercenaries for hire is screwing up the system for 99% to make it "fair" for the <1% percent who are going to get rich once they leave.

I knew a lot of athletes when I was in school and covering college sports for a few years after. ALL of them were there for the education. That includes one guy who made it to the NFL and played for a few seasons, then bailed on his football career because he wanted to use his degree.

Seriously, people need to get over this absurd premise that college athletes make up some exploited class toiling for The Man and getting nothing out of it.

If you want to make the determination that college athletics is a student job akin to a kid working in the student bookstore, I'm fine with that, but pay all of them, and pay them like the kid working in the student bookstore.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

PC, if left to a free market, a very large percentage of these players -- well over 50 percent, anyway -- could land a deal for more than the scholarship amount. The amount of under-the-table money changing hands proves this. That makes them very different from other students and even other athletes.

9. PCLoadLetter

Then someone should launch a minor league football system if we want it to be closer to a free market. It's not a free market, nor is it intended to be.

As someone with a 16 year old who will have to figure out how to pay for skyrocketing tuition in a few years, it strikes me as preposterous that the free ride is viewed as largely meaningless in this discussion. It's not. There are far, far more students using athletics as a means to an education than there are using it as a pit stop on the way to a pro career. I don't see how blowing up a system for those kids is worthwhile so we can treat Johnny Manziel like some kind of 21st century Rosa Parks.

As for the money-changing-hands argument... I discussed this years ago with the guy who went on to the NFL. He rolled his eyes and said "If anyone on this team was getting paid under the table, I would have been one of them, and I didn't see a dime."

10. LongTimeListener

I don't think you have anything to worry about, because I don't think it's going to change, but to a lot of people (including myself) there's something a little wrong with not letting someone make the money they can from a perfectly legal and marketable skill. The scholarship is nice, but the fact remains these guys could get a scholarship and more.

The article is hilarious on the Title IX issue. Yeah, there will be no problem paying the women less because their sport brings in no revenue. Totally the way the courts have adjudicated Title IX issues for the last 30 years.

11. PCLoadLetter

I get that, but it's not the colleges' fault that the NFL relies on the colleges to serve as the developmental league. The "payment" in college is a (very valuable) college education, along with room and board. If that's not something an athlete thinks is equitable, don't go to college. It may be a marketable skill, but the colleges are under no obligation to provide that market.

12. LongTimeListener

And here we get to the artificial ban on playing in the NFL for three years after high school (one year in basketball). It's nothing but collusion between the NCAA and the leagues to serve the marketing purposes of both of those groups. There is no realistic option other than college for a young football player. Given that reality, I hope every single one of those guys gets as much side money as they can.

Draft saved Draft deleted