1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate on Sports Blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Aug 24, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I've been a lurker here for well over two years, and I seem to remember some spirited debate once upon a time about whether or not blogs could ever impact sports coverage.

One phrase i recall is 'lack of access' doing blogs in.

Just wondering if anyone had read <a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2172695/">this Slate piece</a> on how a tiny, one-man sports blog was more of a must-read on the biggest sports story of the year: Mike Vick.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're no lurker!!

And yes I did: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/46107/

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I like profootballtalk.com, I've read it. But I'm in the business.

I don't doubt that profootballtalk brought the goods ... they do and did. But ask 20 regular Joe's on the street about profootballtalk.com and 19 will say ... what? And I'm being kind. So I seriously doubt this rises to the level of "must read" other than the pro football cognoscenti who read it anyway.

Just because Slate puts it on a pedestal doesn't necessarily make it so. That story sort of read like the tired stories you see in a metro independent paper/web site taking predictable slams at the established daily.

Methinks web sites covering other web sites are going to break their arms patting each other on the back. Or break their necks sucking their own dicks.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

True, but the Slate article did point out that PFT influences the mainstream writers, who pick up the stories and try to get more info into their rags/TV shows.

6. Bubbler

No disagreement. But the masses are still getting information from the reporter, not profootballtalk.com itself. It's a conduit, a valuable one, but still a conduit.

7. I have a feeling if you asked 20 regular Joes on the street about Slate, 19 would say....what?

8. Bubbler

Yep. But that's probably of a badge of honor in their mission to be self-important.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Because for all the computer batteries used to detail how irrelevant the print-based providers of information are, entities such as Slate and any number of specific-sport blogs are still just complements to broader-picture journalism.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Exactly. The mainstream media is called that for a reason. It appeals to a wide audience. For the small fraction of people not adequately served by the mainstream media, there are subject-specific magazines, trade publications, Web sites and blogs aplenty.

Draft saved Draft deleted