1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'Is religion good for children?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's fair.

I just think you're better off going off your own instincts from watching your kids rather than go off a Slate column. I'm sure you're doing that. I'm sure it would take a couple seconds on Google to find an article explaining why religion is necessary for kids.

I don't think going to church or Sunday school or religious school turns kids into evolution-denying, gay-hating future members of Westboro Baptist.

I think good parenting, and I have no doubts whatsoever that Dick is a good parent, is far more important in how your kids turn out than going or not going to church.

3. Dick Whitman

For the record, I'm not taking dictation from Slate. (I know you acknowledged that in your next sentence.) This will come as a surprise to most here, but I don't even regularly visit Slate. (I have on occasion listened to the weekly political and culture podcasts, which are very good. Some of their staff columnists, as opposed to the one-off rabble-rousers, are very good, as well.) Slate links show up in other news feeds and aggregation emails. If the piece is interesting, I'll read it.

The Slate piece linked cites to and discusses actual studies, both supportive of raising kids in religion and against.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I find that a little difficult to reconcile.

Seems very difficult to understand how someone who truly believes in God (and thus what He is about) could not worship Him.

Of course, that ties into your qualifier of "vaguely" . . . which I translate as "I'm not really sure I believe in God."

5. Dick Whitman

I believe in an intelligent First Cause, but feign no insight into its nature, purpose, plans, etc.

"Worship" is an odd concept for me to understand. I'm appreciative. That stops short, though.

6. RecoveringJournalist

That word is a bit rough. I know it's regularly used, but I prefer to simply "believe" I hope that doesn't sound too simplistic.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Uh, when did Christian "fundamentalists" become a small percentage, in this country? They are not only a large group, but a powerful group.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is what people who don't believe in god say to those who do to fit in.

9. Dick Whitman

Oh, I don't care about that a whit.

10. RecoveringJournalist

The bullshit line is, "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual." I don't think that's what Dick is saying.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Maybe when Dick eventually does have his come-to-Jesus moment he can start a thread about it.
    Here's the thing- nobody cares what somebody does or doesn't believe in.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nobody should care.

Far, far too many people do.

Draft saved Draft deleted