1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'Is religion good for children?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 29, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Slate is the mother's milk for critical thinkers.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

For those who can't be weaned from the teat. :D

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Liberal rubbish.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"No, son, there is no such thing as Santa Claus. Now quit your crying, you're 3. It's time you were told the truth."

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"Son, we came from nothing, you are nothing, and you will die as nothing. Matter of fact, why the fuck are you even here?"
    -- D. Whitman

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Don't need God to draw meaning.

Your post, which I think is supposed to be funny, implies that one either chooses God or one chooses meaninglessness. That's a false dichotomy. (Not that I haven't explored the "we are nothing" line of thinking. I love "Waiting for Godot" and others of its ilk, for example.)

I've said it before: I am not an atheist. I believe in God. Vaguely. But I don't live to please him/her/it. I don't "worship" him/her/it. Other than the ongoing attempt to resolve the engima/mystery of his/her/its existence, he/she/it does not play an active role in my existence.

I am not an atheist.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the Old Testament, Jesus fulfills the law and thus makes whole chunks unnecessary to follow. This is written all over the New Testament, but culture's relative cluelessness on how Christianity actually functions generally prevails. (The two books are part of one covenant but some things are "resolved" by Jesus.) Other parts of the New Testament need to be understood in context.

8. Dick Whitman

"The Bible has inconsistencies" seems to be an argument useful against what I have to imagine is a very small percentage of extreme fundamentalist Christians who eschew critical thinking of any form. Both in number and in intellectual heft, they hardly seem worth the breath. And yet, they seem to receive the most attention from the other side in these debates.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but are you trying to justify not raising your children religious?

If that's the case, that's fine. It's a very personal choice however you decide to do it.

10. Dick Whitman

I don't have to justify it. And my kids go to Catholic preschool. And to mass sometimes.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In "number?" IMO, no. It's often raised.

12. RecoveringJournalist

And you wonder if it's good for them?

Draft saved Draft deleted