1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: If You Send Your Kid to Private School, You Are a Bad Person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Aug 29, 2013.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

This has sparked a debate amongst a group of friends. Not surprisingly, I suppose, the friends that went to public school (including myself) all support the author; those that went to private school don't. I'd add that I also think busing is a necessary component of this to mitigate some of the effect of property taxes turning many "public" schools into essentially private ones.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/08/private_school_vs_public_school_only_bad_people_send_their_kids_to_private.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Slate sure does know how to click-whore.

I wish they hadn't written it up as being a "bad person," but I do agree with the sentiment. People want to wall themselves off from the world around them, then vote to gut the public school system they've left behind, and the side benefit is that their private school kids will now look better in college applications. Win win! The collusion starts in kindergarten, because you have to have been at the right school to go to the next right school.

What is getting really tiring is listening to friends and neighbors say they're going private or moving to the suburbs because of all the gangs and drugs at our local school (neither is much problem according to the many cops I know, but perceptions take root). They always add "but I'm sure it will be fine for you." Yet I'm never free to say "I would never waste $50,000 on a high school education that is only marginally better if it is better at all, but that's just me and I'm sure it will be fine for you."

3. Parents are afraid there kids will catch a bad work ethic from the "poor" kids and turn to a life of crime to support a drug habit, with their bastard children tagging along.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I wonder how many of the Slate employees based in the District are sending their kids to public schools.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

No ridiculous generalizations on this thread.

Nope.

Not one.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Plenty, I bet. There are magnet schools.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Since the great majority of private schools are religious schools, it's obvious the author hates the First Amendment.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Holy crap, trying to read through this author's "logic" makes not wanting to throat-punch her stupidity the most difficult task I've dealt with this century.

I particularly liked the part where she tried to make reading Whitman in ninth grade and getting drunk before basketball games equally productive activities.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And her guidance counselor told her that her career path would either be "lumber camp toy" or "the other woman".

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's trolling you, and you're taking the bait hook, line, and sinker.

This is like when SmallPotatoes gets worked up about something Michael Savage said.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At least she's refreshingly open about the essence of her argument (which mirrors that proffered by many 'round these parts): If you're a good person, you will sacrifice for everyone else's children more than you will for your own. Indeed, you'll sacrifice your own children (or at least a portion of their well-being) for everyone else's.

I must admit, though, that I do give the author credit for this little truism:

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

People who send their kids to private schools, at their own expense, are not bad.

People who then work to gut financial support for public schools, are bad. And that is many, if not most, of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted