1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'How normal is your drinking?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think with the possible exception of playing centurion in college, or maybe that college trip to Mardi Gras that I've ever had 74 drinks in a week.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's funny.

My brother has said before that he "can tell" when someone is an alcoholic because it seems like a guy who should be drinking, then turns down a drink.

The calories are a big reason I'm at pretty much no risk of ever becoming an alcoholic. I was fat once, largely on beer. Won't do it again.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I probably came close to 30 in grad school.
    You have to be unemployed or not living in a real world to have 75 drinks a week.
    Holy fuck is that a lot of alcohol.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I had major surgery in my late 20s and was on pain meds for awhile afterwards and was told I couldn't drink while on them. I followed that advice and found out I didn't miss it much.

The calorie issue is one for me as well. I could eat nothing but grapefruits and kale all day and if I have one drink I'll gain three pounds.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I usually have a glass of red with dinner and it isn't uncommon for me to have more than a couple on the weekend. But at my age (45), even 15 drinks in a week seems like an unthinkable amount.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Depending on which study you read, two glasses of red wine a night is supposed to be good for you.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

False. I was gainfully employed through my whole alcoholic fog. Some were pretty good jobs, too.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Like RJ, I don't judge.
    Everybody does too much of something. I just don't know where that kind of time comes from.
    At >75 drinks per week with a good job, you're either drunk, on your way, pickled, working or asleep.
    I suppose many lawyers could make that work, like the recent story of the one who bungled the murder trial because he was just not coherent enough to construct a viable defense.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/alcoholic-lawyer-botched-robert-wayne-holsey-death-penalty-trial

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ten percent average 10 drinks a day for a week? Not buying' that, but if that IS accurate, it's little wonder we have all the problems we do.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That stat doesn't exactly make you want to get in the car and go for a drive this evening.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I worked with a columnist who if I had to guess, probably drank 15-20 over the course of most days. He would start early and end late.

Everybody he works with is well aware and they'll never do anything about it.

He's a good writer who can be great when he wants to be, but phones it in more often than not.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Based on that study, and some of the stories here, I feel much better about my weekend drinking. I can't fathom 75 drinks in a week now, much less when I was in my 20s.

Draft saved Draft deleted