1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'How normal is your drinking?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know everyone here hates Slate, but regardless, the topic is interesting.

The top 10 percent of American drinkers drink an average of 74 drinks a week, which is unfathomable to me.

Thirty percent of Americans don't drink at all. I'm actually surprised the number isn't higher than that.

I can't recall the exact figure, but a very significant percentage don't drink much at all - like one drink a week, tops.

I'm in the 5-10 range, I would guess. I'm a have-a-beer-or-glass-of-bourbon-or-martini/Manhattan/daquiri/something-new over the grill or at the end of the day watching the ballgame-type guy.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm alarmed by the growing inequality in drinking.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Of course. You're not single and childless. When I was, I could easily surpass that number.
  4. Dick Whitman

I'm not surprised there are people who drink 74 drinks a week. I'm surprised that 10 percent of Americans average that many drinks a week.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there was a good amount of my life that I qualified as an alcoholic based on the numbers.

I never got close to 74.
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You'd surpass 74 drinks a week easily? Jesus.
  7. Dick Whitman

The other day, Mrs. Whitman, who is always worried about some maladay or another, says out of nowhere, "Do you ever worry about your liver?"

I say, "I drink one or two drinks, four or five times a week."

She says, "Yes, but sometimes it's hard liquor."

"You understand," I said, "that a glass of hard liquor or a cocktail has the same amount of alcohol as a beer, right?"

She said she did.

She didn't.
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

At my height I never had time even for one-half that number.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

10 drinks a night is insane. I worked with a columnist who was probably close to that, but he would occasionally take a night off.

My grandparents were functioning alcoholics and they would have 4-5 martinis a night.

I'll occasionally have a drink in certain social situations, but I can go years in between drinks. I just don't see the upside to it. I sort of feel like I got drinking out of my system in my 20s. I was never a big drinker after college though.
  10. Dick Whitman

It's not about the buzz now, for me. I like it in the same way I like spicy foods. All the 20-somethings I work with talk non-stop about their organic, grass-fed carrot blossom they had at Chez Foo Foo last night. Yeah, OK. I had Chipotle. But I know how to make a Negroni.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

At my alcoholic, single, childless worst, and drinking, say, Miller Lite, I probably got to 100 drinks a week.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't judge those who drink. I just choose not to.

It was funny, I was at a function for my kid's football team a few weeks ago and I was offered a beer and I waved it off and picked up a bottled water and one of the dads said, "Are you in recovery?"

Not the first time that's happened.

Over the years I've gotten: Does it make you uncomfortable if I drink in front of you? Uhh... No.
Draft saved Draft deleted