1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'College Women: Stop Getting Drunk'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It just depends on who's saying it. Telling people not to binge drink is good advice, and it should come from family members or other people they know. On an institutional level, it's very easy for that advice to dip into slut-shaming and victim-blaming, and it's also easy for it to crowd out the more important goal of getting people to stop committing rape.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Haha. My apologies. From what I gather, the NY outing last month was a million times more fun than Dick's college years.

Personally, I was never a big beer pong guy. I played occasionally, and in our annual tournament, but nowhere near regularly. Generally speaking, though, it was more fun to play games while drinking than to not play games while drinking. Crazy, I know.

I'm dying to know which fraternity Dick successfully pledged.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly sounds fucking awesome.

4. Dick Whitman

What's funny about me waging this huge defense of the fraternity parties on my campus is that I didn't go to that often because, well, I thought they were lame.

5. JackReacher

Oh, so you weren't in the fraternity? You just hung out there every now and then?

6. I guess the next morning when the women woke up in the street and field a report.
    BTW: The incident happened a block from the police station.

7. Dick Whitman

Yes, I was in one.

There was more than one fraternity on campus.

8. JackReacher

But you'd rather not disclose which one? I'm honestly just curious. Especially since you went to such a small school.

9. Dick Whitman

I think the impression you have of me is funny. I'm way more normal and easygoing and social than you imagine. We'd most likely get along absolutely swimmingly in real life.

10. printit

printit Member

That, to me, is a false dichotomy. How does giving people practical advice "crowd out" getting people to stop committing rape? And, since I am cynical that any amount of education will keep people from doing bad things, why not educate people on ways to decrease their chance of becoming a victim? I agree that it would be better for families or people close to them to tell people this, but not everyone has that.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I guess my point is this:

If you don't want to be hit by a car in a city where people don't stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk, you should be careful when you're in the crosswalk. If you want to create a city where it's safe to walk in the crosswalks, you need to find a way to get drivers to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

I'm not arguing against personal responsibility or decreasing your chances of becoming a victim. I'm saying you don't reverse rape culture by avoiding being raped. You reverse rape culture by getting rapists to stop raping.

I admit to having a personal bias against advice on certain topics from Yoffe, who often does give good advice in her Dear Prudence column (although I've nearly given up on Slate since the redesign, aside from reading pieces that are emailed to me or posted here). She has major blind spots, particularly regarding alcohol. Anything that happens after a glass of wine invites a lecture on how alcohol started things down the wrong path. She also has a history of shady advice regarding nonconsensual sex - she's prone to telling the victim to lighten up or talking about mixed signals. So a story from her that involves both alcohol and rape sets off my warning bells in a way that probably isn't entirely fair to her.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tri-Lambda.

Draft saved Draft deleted