1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'College Women: Stop Getting Drunk'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is standing around a table throwing ping-pong balls into a cup such a rockin' good time, in comparison?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Our biggest party each year would involve us renting several hot tubs and putting them around the yard. We threw the party on the last day of classes and it was just one colossally huge drunken party and the next morning, it was not uncommon for us to be waking women up and handing them a T-shirt so they wouldn't have to walk home topless.

I'm glad to have been able to experience in in the days before digital cameras and Facebook.

3. Dick Whitman

It was an interesting experience. In some ways, it was like going to a big college. In some ways, I gradually begin to realize that it wasn't. It was really small - about 900-plus students - so we all knew each other and took care of each other for the most part. Sure, you'd have your flare-ups, especially on fraternity preferencing night. But I don't, for example, recall a single accusation of sexual assault.

I wouldn't go there again, for a lot of reasons, starting with the fact that other than my wife, my brother, some of my newspaper colleagues, and the guys I fell in with, people were just way different than me. That's something that has revealed itself over time. But that said, it was fun while it was going on, and just as life-changing as going to a big school.

4. Dick Whitman

This for sure. I remember my best friend ran home from a party drunk and naked one night, with only a beer can coolie covering his unmentionables. Someone took a picture, and the resulting Polaroid showed up a few months later pinned to the campus cafeteria bulletin board. Seems quaint now.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I graduated in 1976 and we played quarters, Cardinal Puff and others my vaporized brain cells can't recall. Definitely not new.

As far as the Yoffe article, we all drank heavily and the guys used that to their advantage when they could, but rape just wasn't an issue. I don't think it's college women whose behavior has changed; it's the men.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a bizarre and interesting case.

At what point did it become acknowledged as a sexual assault, though? That wasn't clear from the link. And that's what makes it on-point to this thread.

As Big Circus said, there's a difference between advising an individual and creating social policy. And yes, telling women not to drink so much that they're compromised is great advice to the individual. It would be good advice for the men too except nobody is trying to compromise them. (Except fraternities with all their butthole fascination, I guess.)

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I forgot all about Cardinal Puff. Thumper was another one.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

On behalf of myself and the other 50-something board members I know, I am offended by the comparison.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sonner obviously skipped the SportsJournalists.com NYC Outing.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Regarding the above two posts: This!

In college, we played quarters all the time, and our frat parties would have dancing and the occasional game of quarters. With my old high school friends, we'd play quarters, 99 and Asshole. Beer pong really wasn't in vogue then.

11. printit

printit Member

I just don't understand this perspective. What is inconsistent about, "If you are raped, it is 100% not your fault. If you are not very drunk, you will decrease the chances of being raped. This does not change one iota how awful the person who did this/would do this to you is."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it's very real that when one or both people are drinking heavily, judgment can be severely impaired. It's quite possible to see something happening that a woman would regret, and that's before even attaching what might be predatory or evil intentions by the man.

You're also putting psychology and legality on equal planes. Regardless of whether the man ends up being punished, the woman is going to go through hell. Understanding that the reports of sexual assaults increase when drinking is involved, the best self-defense s to simply not be in that situation. That's very much worth educating people.

Draft saved Draft deleted