1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slate: 'College Women: Stop Getting Drunk'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How old are you? I'm 43 and quarters were a staple at college parties in the late 80s.

My impression is that Quarters have been around forever.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm 32 and it was asshole, kings and beer pong for us.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No drinking games? Really? That's basically all we did from age 17-24 or so. I'm 35 now.

Quarters, card games, power hour, flip cup, beer pong, etc...

Did you not attend parties?

5. Dick Whitman

I did, but parties at my school were basically loud music played in a fraternity house basement. Maybe you'd wander up to someone's room. Drinking games were just not part of the culture at all where I went. Not at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

Parties in the basement of a fraternity house and no drinking games? Very strange.

7. Dick Whitman

It was more like a dance floor.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No drinking games? Dancing?

I'm starting to doubt that you actually went to college parties.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To talk about the point of the article...not only is Yoffe a moral scold, but she conflates the advice you give a friend with policy for reducing crime. Telling young women not to get blackout drunk or let men ply them with alcohol is good advice, but it's aimed at protecting them as individuals, not stopping rape in society. And that's where the argument veers into victim-blaming because by passing off personal advice as anti-rape measures, the natural assumption is that anyone who was raped must not have followed the good, well-meaning advice. It leads to scrutinizing the actions of the victim rather than stopping the behavior of the rapist.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Were you in the band fraternity?

The basement was for the bongs and beer pong, assuming that's where the ping pong table was, and random hookups amongst the stoners.

The first floor was for the conventional drinking games, and beer pong, if that's where the table was, and upstairs was, depending on the room, harder drugs, more random hookups, the occasional orgy and date rape.

Kappa Sig 4 Life but not at my chapter. My chapter was like Whitman's. *wink*

11. JackReacher

Parties in any part of a fraternity house and no drinking games? Still very, very strange.

Then again, I'm not surprised you didn't play drinking games in college. And that's not meant as an insult.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dick, maybe you weren't invited?

Draft saved Draft deleted