1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slappy 1, Telemarketers 0

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 4, 2008.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

I hate getting asked for my phone number at check out. I just want my shit, I don't want to talk to them about it.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I feel for you, buddy. Our boy's doing great in NOLA.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

[​IMG]

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good. Be sure both of you think of me sitting in the tower with Lambda Lambda Lambda...

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Dish Network called me 3-4 times a week. I begged them to stop. My wife put us on the Do Not Call list. Everything stopped for a while. Now they're starting again. Does the list expire? Do you have to renew it?
    The worst one I get now is some asshole selling windows.
    Riiiiinnnnng ...
    Me: Hello?
    Him: Good morning, are you interested in saving the environment?
    Me: Uh, what?
    Him: Are you interested in saving the environment? We have environment-saving windows and we're going to be in your neighborhood on Wednesday.
    Me: It's not even 8 o'clock. It's too early for calls like this.
    Him: It's never too early to save the environment.
    Me: Fuck you.
    Hang up.

6. This is why the ringer on our land line is turned off.

If it's important, people leave a message.

And our friends know to call the cell phone.

7. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

What about Omega Mu?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

FILE A COMPLAINT

1. To file a complaint now, your phone number must have been on the registry for 31 days.

2. To file a complaint, we need the date you got the call, and either the name or telephone number of the company that called you.

*Reminder: Even if your number is registered, companies with which you do business may continue to call you. So may charities, political organizations, and telephone surveyors. Click Here for more information about the companies that may continue to call the numbers on the registry.

Click on Privacy and Security to learn how the information you provide is used.

https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

When they start the pitch, ask for the salesman's name and company. Then ask for his company's telephone number.
    Then tell him, he just cost his company 10K so they might as well give you the windows free because it's going to cxost more than that because he's just been busted...

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always been tempted, if the cashier is a good-looking woman, to say that I'll only give my number if she would go out on a date with me, but I don't want to risk hitting on a 16-year-old.

Usually though, I just refuse to give it out.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Next time you get a call from the Sheriff's Benevolent Society or something similar, the first question you should ask is "How much of my donation actually goes to the beneficiaries, and not toward 'administrative' costs? Because if the answer's not '100 percent' there's no use continuing this call."

Most of the time they'll hang up.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A local politician in the town my parents live in got caught up in a scandal when the organization he worked for/with/owned (can't remember which) was soliciting for the Police Benevolent Association and only something like 8% of the money actually went to the PBA.

Where I live, there was a big scam ring pretending to solicit for the fire and/or police depts. (especially right after 9/11). Lots of people got taken in.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for DSL, I wouldn't have a land line at all. As it is, I turn off all my ringers anyway. Those in the know can call my celly.

Draft saved Draft deleted