1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slappy 1, Telemarketers 0

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 4, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: Slappy 1, Telemarkers 0

Scene from Seinfeld (doing this from memory):

Phone rings.

Jerry: Hello

Telemarketer on the other end.

Jerry: You've reached me at a bad time. Can I call you later?

Jerry: Oh, so you don't want to be bothered at home?

Jerry: Now you know how I feel.

Jerry hangs up phone.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed (hey, I was a happy Slappy and couldn't spell)... and yeah, the cops are the worst...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bravo. The last horse finally crosses the finish line. :p

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I noticed that we got more cop calls AFTER the do not call list signup.

We get a lot of calls now, actually. More than ever. Auto warranty companies, vinyl siding installation companies, timeshare companies. Thing is, I can't get a name or number.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Correct if this is wrong, but aren't cop calls not covered by Do Not Call, since it is benefitting a charity?

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was getting that auto warranty recorded call on my mobile phone, which really pissed me off. So I waited for the human to come on, and said never to call me, and that they're screwed because they used a recording. I did some research and found the company it came from and reported them to the FCC. I got a letter from the FCC thanking me and saying they're on it.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Correct.

I know that after I donated to one policeman's organization a few years back I began getting calls from every related charity in the world -- more police, firefighters, paralyzed veterans, Coast Guard youth auxiliary (quick, what movie is that from?).

So I've just stopped donating as a result. Those asshole cops can thank themselves for passing my phone number out.

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

One of my roommates and I would always F with telemarketers when they called during college. The most common one was, after the telemarketer asked to speak with one of us, "No, he's at the club tonight. He'll be strippin' till around 2 o'clock in the morning." Threw them off every time.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

They're still allowed to call.

But I have to wonder if they subscribe to the list of people on the Do Not Call list, in order to get a whole bunch of new people for their database.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's why I never give my cell phone out to companies. Ever.
    And cop calls are covered, since technically, it's a charity...

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I didn't give out my number. They'd random dialed it. And kept dialing it after I answered it the first time and hung up without waiting through the whole spiel.

I NEVER give out my mobile number, and rarely my home number. Usually if I need to put down a phone number, I put one that I had in my last house. I sometimes feel bad for whomever got that number.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And places like Kohl's or Best Buy, etc, that ask for phone numbers when you check out, I always say no to that too. If you give them your phone number, that's like giving permission for them to call you. They say they don't use it, but then why the hell would they want it.

If they really need a number, I'll give them my area code 867-5309.

Apparently others have too, because the cashier said please don't give fake numbers. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted