1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slap Shot Alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

AMC. It's now 50 minutes in. But still damn good.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Paul Dooley delivers one of my favorite lines in the whole movie as the Hyannisport announcer (the game when the Hansons go into the stands to fight fans).

"The fans are standing up to them. The security guards are standing up to them. The peanut vendors are standing up to them. And by golly, if I could be down there, I'd be standing up to them."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Of all the overrated comedies in the world, Slap Shot isn't one of them.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Scouts?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Now hang up...

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that version is edited. Still good but loses some of its bite.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

“This young man has had a very trying rookie season, what with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country’s refusal to take him. Well, I guess that’s more than most 21-year-olds could handle.”

“Ogelthorpe!”

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

"Here's a name for you nostalgia fans: Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown. I'll never forget an exclusive interview in which Swamptown revealed that he calls his hockey stick the "Big Tomahawk," and he usually refers to the opposing players as "the little scalps."

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Almost didn't make it back to work this afternoon because it was on when I was home for lunch. Sig line changed in honor of it.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Andre, of course, has been living in semi-seclusion in northern Quebec ever since the unfortunate Denny Pratt tragedy.”

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I forget where I read it (hell, it might have been on this board), but the actor who plays Oglethorpe actually helped inspire the movie.

Ned Dowd was screenwriter Nancy Dowd's brother, and she visited him and the team once and asked the players who their owner was. She was amazed at the fact they didn't know, and that gave her the idea to write a movie about minor-league hockey. It also said on IMDB that she wanted to do a documentary, but George Roy Hill convinced her it would be better as a comedy movie.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've heard bits and pieces of the above too.

Whatever the case, it's a classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted