1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slap/dash journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Dec 7, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I rarely read McPaper but on a flight today I killed time reading USAToday. The 1A centerpiece was on the Omaha mall shootings.
    Pardon the cyncism (or don't) but here's how I see the Nation's Newspaper's journalistic stylings.

1. Big story breaks (typically a tragic one).
    2. One day later, as a follow up, make it a center piece; get compelling art; have a dozen writers carpet bomb sources.
    3. Construct story using all that's gathered. Quote some experts, quote some "normal" folks. Use Google to list other similar incidents that help support story.
    4. Run sidebar with the human angle; mug shots of victims always good; graphic of "how it happened" helps readers to "be there."
    5. Slap selves on back in congatulations of producing instant in-depth/analytical/topical story.
    6. Rinse, lather, repeat.
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Um, isn't that pretty much how everyone covers a big story these days?
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it's USA Today, they'd also be required to mainstream the story to make sure minority voices are featured in words and pictures.
    Just once I'd love to see some expert after one of these things say, hey this is going to happen again. Guaranteed. More people are going to die because somebody woke up mad at the world and wanted to take some people with him. Maybe the news should take a cue from sports broadcasts who don't show people running on the field of play for their moment of fame, and never ID these people who do these types of things.
  4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

7, Sell a sh*tpot full of papers, about half of which are bought in bulk. (And you would to, if you could.)
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only half?

What's the other half? given away free at hotels?
Draft saved Draft deleted