1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SL Price on Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nice story this week by SL Price on Urban Meyer:

Loved this line:

It felt, Meyer would later say, like his skull was being split by an ax. He moved to the bench, caught his breath, got back up. He'd had headaches before but nothing like this. Any movement might bring back the pain; he felt it hovering. He was scared. As the clock spun down, every play, every twist, felt like a threat.

But he kept coaching.

Normal isn't supposed to do this. Normal doesn't produce greatness or the manic need to reach it—at least that's what we've come to believe. The artist, the champion, has to have some crack in the porcelain, some hole to fill, some "Rosebud!" moment to explain that superhuman drive. Maybe Mama died or Dad left; maybe it was poverty or shame. Freud and Dickens and Dick Ebersol so often linked childhood trauma to accomplishment that today the rise of a figure like Urban Meyer almost comes off as odd.

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I'm also hesitant to ready any SL Price or Gary Smith article anymore, for fear that it'll make my inferiority bubble to the surface and make me into a wreck.

Yet I can never put them down once I start.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Really good story, although more than I cared to know about Meyer. Didn't really like the ending, but the beginning and middle were solid.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting that the two big stories in SI this week on Jeter and Meyer both have common theme of strong parental influence on success of subjects.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Meyer acting like he noble for sticking with the players after 28 arrests was a bunch of shit.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed, but it will help recruiting.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

His rushing Tebow back onto the field is an even bigger indictment of the man.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That, and his dad seems like a real horse's ass.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True. Which is why I can't help but wonder if he bolts for the NFL soon. He just had a once-in-a-lifetime player and a once-in-a-lifetime run. Maybe he figures it's downhill from here and bolts.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

But he thought he could manage the game and protect him. 17 rushing attempts.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I watched that game and Meyer did manage it to some extent. There several short-yardage situations where Tebow handed the ball off that would have been QB keepers in any other game. He also pitched the ball on the option nearly every time they ran it.

I'm not sure Tebow should have played in that game, either, but he made it through without further injury. Can't dispute that.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tebow was not the same player afterward

Draft saved Draft deleted