1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#skywire: Nik Wallenda Walks Across Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Missed it live but the replay with several camera angles is here. About to replay:

http://skywire.discovery.com/live.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did sweeps start tonight or something?

Also, too, Joel Osteen? Really!?!

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder why they didn't go with a blimp instead of a chopper for the wide shots, less chance of an inopportune wind direction affecting things.

And I know that Wallenda has to do what he's got to do, but he needs to realize why everyone remembers his great-grandfather. Because he died on TV.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There was little to no chance of him dying, but it was still pretty riveting. Dude just hopped up there in jeans and a t-shirt and walked a quarter-mile on a cable for 1,500 feet.

5. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

It was very impressive. However, while the canyon was grand, it was not the Grand Canyon.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/nik-wallenda/

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit? It was a quarter-mile across the cable, 1,500 feet in the air.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The cameras they can mount on copters now are pretty amazing. I doubt if it was within one mile of him. But I did want to punch the director for using that vertigo-inducing shot focused on Wallenda while the copter circled him.

8. Songbird

Just watched it. Some of the camera angles put that shit into perspective.

No other word than amazing.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It was spectacular in HD.

Could have done without the revival meeting, however.

10. Songbird

The drinking game of taking a shot every time he said "Jesus" would have killed every single participant.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember watching his grandfather, Karl, take the plunge in Brazil. It wasn't pretty.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If praying to Xanthu, God of the Mole People, allows him to maintain focus, then more power to him.
    I did like at the end that he kind of poked fun at himself about it. One of the hosts asked him about his faith and how much he said "Jesus" during the walk. Wallenda said something like, "If people didn't know about it (his faith), I guess they do now."

Draft saved Draft deleted