1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skyhorse acquires Sports Publishing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bay State Librul, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Bay State Librul

Bay State Librul New Member

Sports Publishing went bankrupt a couple of years ago.
    As an author, will I be affected by the acquisition, and do I have any rights?

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/45634-skyhorse-acquires-sports-publishing-assets-launches-children-s-imprint.html

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You probably want to talk to your agent.

Do they still have inventory of your book? Was it remaindered?

3. Bay State Librul

Thanks.
    My co-author and I didn't have an agent.
    Not sure if it was remaindered...
    I sent an e-mail to Skyhorse for an update but haven't received a reply yet.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When did you receive your last royalty statement?

I know there has been a few sj authors published by Sports Publishing and their experience was, to put it mildy, not pleasant.

I'd suggest that if you and your co-author have another book in the works, get an agent.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me know what you hear, they owe me thousands.

6. swenk

swenk Member

Sounds like Skyhorse is buying the rights to existing titles, but not assuming any of the liabilities. So if SP owed you money, you likely won't get it from Skyhorse.

On the other hand, if Skyhorse sells your book, you should still accrue royalties, if you are entitled to any. If the rights to your book reverted to you when SP went under, your book is probably not part of this acquisition.

That said, I don't know the details yet, and have a couple of clients who are likely affected by this. When I know more, I'll try to report it here.

Overall, though, I don't think this is going to have a major impact on anyone.

7. Bay State Librul

Skyhorse mentions 700 titles they acquired... I don't think the rights reverted to me under bankruptcy.
    Our contract with Sports Publishing said that they have the "right of first refusal" on any new books. Would
    that apply to Skyhorse now?

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

No. They did not buy the company, they just bought the assets (copyrights) hence all the contracts are null and void. Authors are unsecured creditors of the old company.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They bought the copyrights to the book, therefore have license to sell the book, but none of the liability due the authors of the books?
    Wow.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Same here.

Draft saved Draft deleted