1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skydiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Sep 8, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Does anyone have any tips, advice or personal stories on skydiving?

I'm thinking of scheduling my first jump in the next couple of weeks.

I'm somewhat afraid of heights, but I don't think that will affect me that much. I'm more afraid of standing on a step ladder or the edge of my roof than I am of looking over the edge of a cliff. Either way, I won't let that silly little fear stop me from doing this.

Originally, I was just going to do a tandem jump, but I think I'll go ahead and go with AFF instead.

2. Make sure you bring a chute.

That's all I got.

3. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks Wb, I'll be sure to add that to the checklist. ;)

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I went several years ago, and did not do the tandem jump; I didn't want another guy on my back that long. I had to sit through a few hours of training to do the solo jump, but it was absolutely worth it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Why do I have a nagging feeling I forgot something? Did I feed the cats? Shut off the iron? Pay the electric bill?"

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Went when I was in college. It's definitely something that's better to do when you're single than when you have a family.

I found it exhilarating, and the scariest part was the ride up and the anticipation. I actually thought bungee jumping was scarier.

I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Once was enough. But once was a must.

Did it and wrote about it and funniest part was my SE at the time making me swear, and almost sign paperwork to the effect, that he had nothing to do with the plan, that it was voluntary and that it was being considered a freelance job for that story. Even got a freelancing friend to shoot art.

Second funniest thing was, there was a really big guy in the day-long training session and, just to be safe, they gave him a cargo chute. One of those they used to drop supply palettes and Jeeps, I seem to recall. He got a really cushy, floating sort of descent, his chute was so big.

Worst part was having the winds pick up right as we were getting ready to go up, late on a Saturday afternoon. They shut 'er down and made us all come back the next day, which gave us an extra 18 hours to chicken out. Very glad I didn't, though. (And very glad this was back when they weren't doing those boo-foo tandem jumps -- would have defeated the purpose of self-challenge to have some guy strapped to me in case of mishap, breathing down my neck the whole way down.)

Best thing, though, was having my roommate -- who had talked tough -- back out on the morning of the training/jump. He claimed he couldn't come up with the money after all, but we both knew he was pissing his pants. Have held it over him (longtime pal) ever since!

Geronimo!

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did five static-line jumps in the summer of 1989.

At Fort Benning, Georgia.

Airborne!

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll do it the morning of my wedding like all the greats.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I did miss my target and landed, er, roughly in an adjacent cornfield and was limping for a week afterward. Barely felt it when it happened, because of the adrenalin rush. But it would have been a problem for dancing at the reception -- or even getting the shiny shoe on my aching foot. Actually allowed me to brag without bragging, just answering the question: "Why are you limping?"

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Chump!

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The fear of heights is the least of my concerns on any jump. The only thing on my mind when I head out the door is making sure I clear the plane with a good, tight body position (which doesn't seem to be an issue with fun-jumpers), keeping hands on the reserve in case of a malfunction and spotting said malfunctions.

I've got 32 jumps, and if you're not scared -- or at least nervous -- when that door opens, there's something seriously wrong with you.

That said, a couple of hours of training isn't enough to jump on you're own. I'd take the tandems (even if it does mean having a guy on your back for a while ::) ) until you get a little more experience. A couple of hours ain't enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted