1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skunked dog

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 27, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Fuck. Help. Have no tomato juice, no chance of getting any. Does tomato soup work?? I know the baking soda cure, but no peroxide to mix it with. One dog hit, one escaped. Going to die from the stench. Fuck. Ideas?? Can I just fling him into the storm and hope he gets clean?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have Boom call him. Make it his problem.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This says white vinegar can be subbed for the hp:

http://odors.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-skunk-smell.htm

I've never tried it. No idea if it works..

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Dog is starting to smell like a salad from all the stuff i'm pouring on him.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Did the Screaming Flying Woot Monkeys set him/her up?

You know, lead the dog to where the skunk was, dive bomb the skunk and let the dog take the blowback.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

freakin monkeys.... always untrustworthy...

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They screamed EFFIN IRENE before the Woot choppers took off. Fucking monkeys, you know they're in bed with the skunks.

And the poor dog? It's the breed used by Navy SEALs. A malinois. They can take apart a refrigerator and turn it into a motorscooter in under four minutes, but can't spot a skunk in the bushes. Unbelievable.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't know about the tomato soup, but it seems to me it should work and might even work better because you rub it in. I wouldn't dilute it with water. Just open the can and rub it into the hair real good.

My boxer got nailed once and it went in his mouth and everywhere. The tomato juice killed the smell on him, but I started force feeding him those breathe strips that dissolve.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Expect the smell to linger for a day or two. My dog growing up got hit a couple of times and the tomato cure only diminishes the smell, doesn't get rid of it entirely.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, Malinois' are waterproof. Whatever you pour on them just rolls off. Dog runs into a lake, comes out dry. Impervious to everything but skunk gas, I guess.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

A little too late, but smell aside, the first trick is to get the sting off your dog, especially if it took it in the grille. Always keep a few big cans of tomato juice in the pantry for this. The acidic content in tomato juice neutralizes the acidic content in the skunk spray and calms your dog down so the pooch doesn't rub its nose in all the furniture and such trying to stop the stinging sensations. If that happens, it's time to crop dust your pad with Febreze.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The worst.
    No real cure except time.
    Tomato juice and other remedies only reduce the smell. Skunk spray is like Jordan. You can't stop it; you can only hope to contain it.
    Keep dog outside as much as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted