1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skis or board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 7, 2013.

?

Rent skis or learn to snowboard

Poll closed Jan 17, 2013.
  1. skis

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. snowboard

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. The wife and I are skiing this month. First time we have gone in six years.
    I am a marginal skier. I can get downhill without killing myself on the beginner and intermediate slopes.
    But I am like Ricky Bobby; I like to go fast. As fast as I can. And at age 40 I feel like I am broken leg or knee injury waiting to happen.
    My sister suggested snowboarding, which I have never done. She claims it is much easier than skis. Once you find your center of gravity you are set to go.
    So any thoughts from the more experienced snow bunnies out there would be appreciated.
    Stick with the old tried and true skis or take snowboarding lessons?

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Snowboarding is not easier than skiing. Particularly if you already know how to ski. I've heard it's easier to learn how to snowboard if you've never done either, but I'm not buying it.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

skis.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're going to be in a lot of pain learning to snowboard. The end result may be as your sister says, but it takes a long time to get there, and with a once-every-blue-moon trip is it ever going to be worth it?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you already know how to ski why switch to try and learn something new. In past 6 years that ski technology has gotten better allowing for better control and easier turning for beginners and intermediates.

6. And prior to my sister (who is 27) your info is the same thing I had been told before.

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I tried snowboarding a couple years ago and fell so many times I thought I might break my wrists. I switched back to the skis after about 90 minutes.

I told my brother about it and he said, "No shit. You sucked at skateboarding, too."

I'm a decent skier, but I could not get the hang of snowboarding. I probably won't try again.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The better you are at skiing, the less willing you likely will be to learn how to go snowboarding, because being good at one doesn't seem to make a lick of difference in learning the other...

I'm good enough at skiing that I can get down the toughest hills at Vail or Arapahoe Basin without any problems. I've been snowboarding maybe five times, and I wouldn't trust myself on a bunny slope.

9. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

I ski, but the learning curve with snowboarding - so I've been told - is quicker. I've had a number of skiers tell me that within a week on the board, they were better than they ever were on skis. That being said, prepare to fall - a lot - the first 2-3 days - and wear preventative wrist braces. Your first impulse is to catch your fall backwards, and the biggest injury while learning is a broken wrist, so if you depend on your hands for work, don't try it.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I took up snowboarding when I moved near the mountains, had never been on skis in my life. As has already been mentioned, I heard the learning curve to become a decent snowbaorder was quicker than learning to become a decent skier.

My wife who is a lifelong skier found the adjustment pretty hard. She "got it" after a few times out and said that boarding is more fun.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My logic for a long time was "I'm only here for a few days every year or two. Do I really want to waste a vacation on the bunny slope learning to snowboard?"

12. Thanks.
    I think I'm gonna stick with skis.

Draft saved Draft deleted