1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skip Prosser of Wake Forest...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CRM, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

On a side note, today was the first day in the office for new Wake Forest Asst. AD for Media Relations Steve Shutt.

I'm not sure if many people can say they had as bad of a first day as Steve can.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn. I think it was in Katz's article that he wrote that Skip was looking forward in meeting the new SID (or Asst. AD for Media Relations).

Hoeppner, Coolbaugh, Prosser. As tough as it is to say it, yeah, life is unfair and cruel. It's how do we live with it and learn from it.

It should never take a significant death like Skip to remind us everytime about life. We should take it to heart individually every single day. If the day becomes a grind, we should remember or reflect on the lighter side of life. It shouldn't have to take a death to remind us. If things are going well, we always think back to how tough it was to get through it and we appreciate it. It shouldn't have to take a death to remind us.

Skip lived his life and always remembered what he went through to achieve what he set out to do in his life. Skip was a life worth appreciating because he was himself and he treated people with respect and admiration.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Damn, Skip. Condolences to the entire WFU community on a sad, sad day.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm still in shock. Have been floored ever since the first call -- it just had to be a rumor. No way could this be true. I covered Skip at several stops along his journey and he was truly a coach to appreciate.

Skip was one of the few coaches who actually enjoyed the writer-coach exchange -- if you could hold your end of the conversation. You know that old piece of reporters' advice that's bounced around this board -- when you write, send 'em to the dictionary once? Skip did that, too -- the guy's vocabulary was astounding. Jim Grobe still calls them "Prosser words."

Unlax in pacification, Skip.

5. Keith Parsons

Keith Parsons New Member

Back when I was with the AP, Skip was incredibly fun to work with. He once said he was "an access guy," and he didn't understand why so many others closed practices and tried to hide from the media.

My favorite memory of him came from the 2005-06 season, after Chris Paul had left and the Deacs were struggling a bit. Duke was pulling away at the end of the first half at the Joel, and J.J. Redick swished a 3 right before the buzzer. My seat was next to the Wake bench, and as the players were warming up for the second half, Skip came over to me and said, "Did Redick travel?" No question which play he was talking about. I smiled and said, "I thought so," and he also smiled and nodded. He said, "How come you and I can see that but they missed it?"

I only knew him in his role as a coach, but by all accounts, he was a pretty special person. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Lenox Rawlings weighs in: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_ColumnistArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173352156365

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Let me second the notion put forth by D-3 Fan and others: We don't know who's going to be around tomorrow and who won't. Make the most of each and every day. Enjoy and savor the things that are important to you.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

If I remember a story that Killick told me correctly, when Prosser was at Xavier, the local radio station used to run a feature about Skip's vocabulary. They would run an audio clip that used a large word and then would give the definition from the dictionary.

Sounds hilarious.

9. Skip was one of the good ones. Not just as a coach, but as a person.

As a Wake Forest grad, I can say without an ounce of hyperbole that win or lose, good or bad, I was always proud to have Skip Prosser representing my alma mater. The Wake Forest family is hurting right now, but we are strengthened by the memories he left behind. Skip Prosser was a good coach but a better human being, and I think the country is realizing that now in the wake of his untimely passing. The outpouring of support and admiration for this man has been overwhelming and I suspect it will continue to build in the weeks and months to come.

Absolutely no one with whom Skip ever had acquaintance and/or friendship has had anything but compliments and kind words to say about him. Precious few people leave that as a legacy.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn this sucks. As others have said - one of the truly good guys in the game.

I covered teams of his at Xavier and at Wake. Wouldn't know me from Adam but always took time to say hello and act like he did. Hell, maybe did.

Shit. Fuck. Damn. RIP to Skip, condolences to his family.

Covered a game at Xavier once. He opens postgame by saying, "That game was like a Dostoevsky novel. It seemed like it was never going to end."

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And a one-post threadjack: Keith, welcome, don't be a stranger. Condolences to your family as well. I hope you are enjoying life outside this crazy business.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Steve's one of the best, and long deserving of an opportunity at a bigger school.

But wow, what a first week for him. Not that it even compares to that of Prosser's family and friends, but still, sucks for Steve.

Draft saved Draft deleted