1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skip Bayless on the racial preferences of Redskins fans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I almost forgot that happened. Holy fuck. I stand by my iceberg comment. Yes, because icebergs are white.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is that Chef's list of best comedians?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah. Skippy Boy's role models.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Racism isn't that big of a deal.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sort of like child rape.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think TV people -- which neither you, nor I, nor Alma are one -- would tell you that's not the case. I would like hear Lugnuts thoughts on it. Or PCLoadLetter. Or TigerVols. I think that's what we think. If you put Tim Cowlishaw in Skip's place, First Take's ratings would drop. It wouldn't matter how much you promoted him. TV is a different medium, and there is a reason why Two and A Half Men got the ratings it did prior to Sheen's departure, and Parks and Recreation gets the ratings it did, no matter how much NBC promotes it. Skip is good at being that guy. It drives me bonkers, so I just ignore it, but he's good at saying this crap to get under people's skin. I actually think Cowherd is REALLY good at his job, even though I frequently FREQUENTLY disagree. Because with Cowherd, I don't change the channel.

I don't like it, and you don't like it, but it's a reflection on what drives eyeballs. Not everyone likes smart conversation. Just listen to sports talk radio.

I think it would be great if, say, ESPN said "You know, ratings be dammed, we're going to go with someone else here, because it's not worth half a ratings point to have someone say this nonsense." But real life doesn't work that way. Producers are under pressure to increase numbers, executives are under pressure to raise numbers to sell ads.

Hell, even newspapers don't work in some noble way. I had to constantly write moronic blog posts at my newspaper job because the idiot editor wanted them to "drive traffic." The headlines deliberately mislead readers and we all knew it. The journalism didn't matter at all. He was once livid that I couldn't get a picture of an athlete's dog in our paper, even though I explained the athlete didn't give a shit about the dog and had given it to his sister years ago. The editor of our paper loved cute dog pics, and demanded I produce one.

Lastly, the day we're all done "enduring" Mark's posts will be a great day. We shall overcome.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I hear what you're saying, and I very much want to agree with you, just for my sanity and out of the desire to think the best of people. But I ... I just can't. It seems too much to me like an argument that we're all guilty, so no one's guilty. I still have to blame ESPN for putting this guy on the air.

Also:

Jesus Fucking Christ.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bayless isn't Barnum. He's General Tom Thumb. Or maybe Ned, the Learned Seal.

Draft saved Draft deleted