1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skip Bayless on the racial preferences of Redskins fans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

You gave him the click.
    Excrement is meant to be flushed, not inspected.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Insight, enlightenment, an invitation to contemplation, analysis, context, levity, humor, perspective, information. Good journalism provides these things, keeps people entertained with these things, gets people thinking with these things, gets people talking with these things.

What is the point of the "like him or hate him" observation. To remind us that he's an attention whore? We'd all be talking about Skip Bayless if he smeared shit on his face.

So what?

Why I think this matters (and not the race thing, which was stupid and demonstrably, provably false and such naked pandering and narcissistic trolling that to consider his point or refute his point or debate his point requires a willing suspension of basic adult intellgence -- but wasn't necessarily racist or offensive) is that it debases the entire profession and (further) lowers reader expectations and standards.

Bayless is always talking about himself, only himself. What use, beyond his weird egotistical masochism, does any of what he does serve?

He wants people to debate Skip Bayless. It "works."

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It speaks volumes of Bayless' reputation that the general reaction seems to be, "It's Skip Bayless. Of course he said something like that." Anyone with a reputation for thoughtful insight would be taken to the cleaners for something like this.

With Bayless, it seems like a waste of time.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I understand where he's coming from but this guy needs to STFU. WHY is he still on the air?

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Next topic for Skip: Why white guys born in the U.S. are inherently inferior basketball players.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I sure don't.

What do you think his point is?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

White people are pulling for white people. Black people are pulling for Black people. White people want to see a white quarterback run the 'Skins.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do believe that's true?

Do you think Skip Bayless believes that's true?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe there is some truth in what he's saying that connects to a segment of our society. But Skip Bayless is an asshole. That idiot does not represent my ideas and I definitely don't consider him an authority on race relations in Washington or anywhere else.
    I think I may have to call Jalen Rose to straighten him out.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In the history of dumb, inaccurate, and race-baiting things you've said on this board, and that history is long though not at all illustrious, this is the topper. It's a thousand percent, absolutely, positively wrong. An outright lie.

Like I said, right now RG3 is the most popular person in DC. Out of anyone. White, black, whatever. Everyone is excited about RG3. I'm not even a little bit of a Redskins fan. But I can say this with authority and accuracy, and you sure as hell can not. RG3 could run for mayor of DC tomorrow and win by a landslide.

White people in DC love RG3 like Drip loves spouting off on things as if he has any authority, even when it's plainly obvious he doesn't.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Of all the jackassed retorts you've made THIS is the worst. I DID NOT say I agreed with this ahole. I said I understand where he is coming from and there is a segment of our society who believes in this type of logic.
    As for his popularity in D.C., I definitely don't need you tell me how popular he is. I'm in the city quite often. I know his impact.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For how many years did we hear about how fans were waiting for (and promoters were looking for) a great white hope to challenge for the heavyweight boxing crown.

Why was that?

The answer to that is, in many respects, the answer to what Bayless was getting at.

Draft saved Draft deleted