1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skills and traits most needed for success

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 24, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't even think this is just limited to journalism, either. When I was in college (not long ago), I found it amazing how many of my peers did not have the a) wherewithal; b) patience; or c) skill to know how to look up the right answer to a question when it could be found in the textbook.

It's one thing to have to dig around for research, or seek out an obscure resource to find information, but it's quite another that you can't be bothered to find the answers when they're laid out for you. For a journalist, there's no excuse. It's essential that you learn this basic skill. But this seems to be a widespread concern, in a wide range of fields.

(Of course, it helped me make some good money as a tutor. But I'd rather have gained a greater sense of optimism that my generation was more self-sufficient with acquiring knowledge on their own, instead of relying on people like me to "show" them the answer.)

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

My old shihan used to say, "Fight like you are already dead." I figure this has applications in hand-to-hand combat and scribe life. Be in the moment. Take risks. Dare.

YHS, etc

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Deep sigh. Never is such an expansive word. But since insideman chose to use it, I have no chocie but to respond. He's a liar. And since he also chooses to make anonymous charges against a person using his own name,he's a gutless sack of shit to boot.
    I'm a tolerant guy, but there's a limit. If insideman wishes to pursue this discussion, let him name a time and place.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

(Gingerly avoiding the Insideman-Gee 15-rounder) ...

Here are some skills and traits I think are needed for success in journalism/newspapers.
    1. Work ethic.
    2. Enthusiasm. If you don't love it (or REALLY like it), it shows.
    3. Curiosity. Don't be afraid to ask; no such thing as a dumb question.
    4. Ability to learn. Goes with curiosity. Soak up the knowledge regarding your beat, profession.
    5. Read. You want folks to read your stuff. You need to read stuff. Learn how others put together sentences, grafs, stories.
    6. Write. This is like a daily workout. Write. Read. Rewrite. (Repeat).
    7. Listen. If you're a rookie, listen to the veterans. You can learn, even from the FOS hacks.
    8. Humility. No matter how good you think you are, there are quite a few others out there who can kick your ass. Be confident but not cocky.
    9. Thick skin. Whether it's readers, editors or story subjects, people are gonna complain and take shots at stuff you write. Learn from it, don't take it personally. And when a reader writes with a rip or an attaboy, always answer them and no matter what they said, be sure to include the phrase: "Thanks for reading the Dry Gulch Gazette and for taking the time to send me your comments.''

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I agree with all of them. A few others -

1.) Creativity - You're stock can only improve with the more subjects and sports you're able to cover.
    2.) Drive - There's complacency in the biz, but guys/ladies who go somewhere are ones who have goals, meet them, and look for new, tougher ways to improve.
    3.) Honesty - To yourself and the sources you develop.
    4.) Energy - You have to be able to go for months sometimes with no vacation. Part of it.
    5.) Decency - Don't kiss ass, don't screw over people who help you.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hahaha. Some places yes, some places no.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Honesty, integrity, arrogance.

Your name and reputation are all you have....liars get caught, and the stain lasts forever.

Along those lines, the way you conduct yourself says more about you than any story you will ever write. Be fair and thorough and understand the meaning of journalistic integrity.

And don't be afraid to show some arrogance--the good kind, that lets you ask the hard questions and makes you go back with more questions after the door has been slammed in your face fifty times.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--Never mail it in. That eventually makes you a go-to person.
    --Never go Tourette's, except under your breath to yourself. That eventually makes others see you as level-headed.
    --Be patient. That eventually gets you the breaks.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It seems to me that being an exceptional writer can lead to advancing in this business at an exceptional rate, but being an above-average writer doesn't necessarily lead to advancing at an above-average rate. I probably looked at this the exact opposite way when I was younger, but working really hard and breaking a lot of news can make up for pedestrian writing in a lot of cases.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Work. Hard.

11. House

House Guest

How about intensity, integrity and intelligence?

[​IMG]

12. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

No one mentioned this: natural talent

Draft saved Draft deleted