1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skilled worker shortage?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 29, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Sorry YF but I don't agree with this at all. Whether you have to pay for college admission or an apartment credit check is irrelevent.

A company the size of Union Pacific is going to have some sort of Applicant Tracking Software that is going to grade every applicant on a matrix to get down to a short list. Nobody is going thru the thousands of resumes.

Nickel and diming an applicant for $25 for an aptitude test is just a cheesy cash grab.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The problem I see with Union Pacific's PR-placed sob story is that it doesn't mention what the railroad could be doing to train recruits. There is a partnership with Salt Lake Community College where some of the engineer training operations are housed. Why not expand that to welding or electronics?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Since when is hiring not a cost of doing business? $25 for a test it costs the company nothing to administer? C'mon. What next, employees pay for their own drug tests? Their own polygraphs? Pay for the cardboard boxes they use to clean out their desks once fired?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the gubmint's job.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You know who used to run great apprenticeship programs in the skilled trades? Unions.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I'm sure we'll soon see workers have to run to IKEA and buy all the furniture they will use before they start at the new job.

Draft saved Draft deleted