1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skilled worker shortage?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 29, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The idea that everyone should go to college has really fucked things up. In many ways, it's made the BA the equivalent of a High School diploma.

If everyone has a degree, then it's not so special -- especially if yours isn't from a top school.

And, if it's not in a field directly related to a career, it's even less valuable.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying about it being a "fetish" to get more people to go to college. I think, unlike in the past, kids view college almost as an extension of high school now (and even when I was in school).

It's just another four years on your 16-year education plan and you can skate by and get a degree and bam, you're going to make $100,000/year because back in the day, the folks with a college education got paid well.

Now, there's so many college grads that the ones who don't put any work in, will have no appreciable job skills, but they think that because they have a diploma they're above working a $30,000/year job.

You get out of it what you put into it and a lot of people still don't put any real thought into what they're doing in college or why they're doing it. They just think diploma=money, not education/skills=money.

And many of those students, if they had learned a trade instead of spending four years doing the minimum in college, would make more money and have no student to debt to pay off.

3. CSX is expected to hire approx. 500 employees in W.Va over the next few years making that pay range.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have talked about this in groups with other parents, noting that if one of my sons didn't really want to go to college and could learn how to be an electrician or something, I'd encourage him to do that.

There was almost a race to the phone to call Child Protective Services.

Meanwhile I live out here in the land of the West Coast Conference, where the Catholic colleges charge Ivy League prices for a state school education, and they have people lined up out the door to pay for it.

5. I'm with you LTL.
    I would tickled to death if my kids were plumbers or electricians.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd say community college is the answer to teach a trade, but a quarter of the class I teach have trouble writing a complete sentence.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why do you need to write a complete sentence to be a plumber? I'm not trying to intimate that plumbers are illiterate, but really what is the value of sitting in an English composition class for that career path?

8. YankeeFan

Let me know what they say in a few years when Johnny moves back in with them, and expects mom to cook his meals and do his laundry.

Remember the Colgate kid from the Times profile?

Meanwhile, the kid with the trade skills will likely have a job, his own place, and no debt.

9. Could not care less if they can replumb my bathroom and gas lines without a leak.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you want someone to repair a gas line if They can't write clear instructions or understand them? Have you read instructions for furniture?

11. YankeeFan

And, this is the problem.

I once took some classes at Iona College. It's a private, Catholic college in New Rochelle, NY. Not an Ivy League school, to be sure, but a solid little school.

And, it was not nearly as challenging as my high school.

It could have been. They have fine teachers. But, the students aren't prepared for college level work.

I saw no reason to continue taking classes there. I knew a degree from there would mean no more to me than the high school degree I already had.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If I was starting over, I'd learn to work with my hands - carpentry, plumbing, something like that. A job that can't be outsourced and the satisfaction of seeing something take shape under your hands. I think I'd like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted