1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skiles will coach Bucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IllMil, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Never, since there wasn't a single team in the NBA that would have taken Paul over Bogut at the time...

The same can't be said for Bowie over Jordan, Barkley and Perkins.

It was still a colossal fuck-up, but it was one most teams would have made...

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loved Skiles as a player, but he did a crappy job with the Bulls. Shocked at the hire.

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Andrew Bogut is the least of the Bucks problems. Yes, they would've been better off with with Paul, but he is a very good player. He's one of the top centers in the East, but has been completely misused by the Bucks staff and is still averaging nearly a double-double a game.

If they build the offense around him instead of trigger happy Michael Redd, Bogut is a 20-10-4 talent. If he leaves Milwaukee, I bet he gets exponetially better.

He's not even close to Bowie over Jordan for several obvious reasons, but my point is, he's a good player that's been horribly misused.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

There wasn't a lack of interest. There were several teams persuing him, but from what I read, Milwaukee gave him "an offer he couldn't refuse."

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I don't know if crappy is the best way to describe his tenure. He was instrumental to their revival as a franchise. I think most NBA execs would laud his tenure there. This year got away from them pretty early, partially due to contractual issues.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Evidently, he refused.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Damnit. I just came back to edit that when I realized the mistake.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed, the two aren't even remotely close. Paul didn't go to til the 4th pick and there was never even a question about him going 1st ahead of Bogut. And Bogut hasn't been that bad, he sure as hell isn't a Bowie type bust.

But you certainly can rip Atlanta's decision to take Marvin Williams over Paul at a time when they were overloaded with forwards and needed a point. Now THAT was an indefensible pick.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Worst part about that choice? The ostensible reason for going with Bogut is that Bucks already had their young PG: T.J. Ford.
    So they played one more year and then shipped him to Toronto.
    Great call, fellas.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

It actually was a pretty good call, given Ford's spinal cord.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Wake up, fella.
    Was referring to picking Bogut over Paul because Ford was on the roster. (His back problems already were well known at the time).

12. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Skiles actually did a very nice job with the Bulls. Up until this year they played really hard and quite well. That he could squeeze 49 wins out of last year's team was impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted