1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ski racing battle of the sexes?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

For people who understand a bit about ski racing... what do you think of Lindsey Vonn's proposal to compete in the men's downhill at Lake Louise?

And do you think the FIS will let her do it?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If it's naked spring skiing, I'm all for it.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

These kinds of things just don't have as much appeal in sports where the competitor is basically competing against a course and just comparing a score (or time) with males.

Pick a sport where you have to face your competitor and react to what he does, and then call me.

But then, we've seen that.

203rd-ranked Karsten Braasch, playing half speed, def. Serena Williams 6-1. And then Venus 6-2.

As a side note, after that match one of the sisters decided maybe it would be a better idea to challenge someone ranked in the 300s.

Braasch told her, "I'm going to lose a few ranking points in the next couple of weeks. I should be ranked in the 300s if you want to do it again."

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This is all I know about skiing......

[​IMG]

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This. If her times measure up to the men then, sure, why not?

The whole "battle of the sexes" theme doesn't mean much in sports that have no head to head competition/defense from the opponent.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

It's suicide!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. ringer

ringer Active Member

That's interesting. I believe the opposite is true. I think competing for a time or a score gives a much better indication of how how close or how far apart men and women are in terms of ability -- and that's the real point of such a contest anyway, right?

I also think men and women competing for the fastest time or the best score is far less predictable and therefore, far more interesting than say a male/female boxing match or a male/female tennis game.

Anyone else?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's less predictable because, well, Annika Sorenstam has a legitimate chance to ace a Par-3 hole because there's nothing Rory McIlroy can do to impede her.

OTOH, Serena Williams simply cannot hit four winners and get a game off Rafael Nadal, because Nadal's spin and speed will not let her.

Now, as far as interesting . . .

While a 6-0, 6-0 thrashing may not be very interesting, I think it's interesting that the casual fan can look at Serena Williams and Andy Murray win Wimbledon and actually think, "They're playing the same game."

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

That's a great point

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Vonn's got nothing on Lane Meyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted