1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skeptic magazine: 'The Delicate Dilemma of Defining Rape'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Does she appear to be taking a leftist viewpoint, in this piece, to you?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I refuse to read anything until after I've formed my opinion, it saves so much time.

britwrit likes this.
  3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. We know from studies of memory that it's both an incredibly faulty system, particularly in times of stress (happy and sad), and that it is extremely malleable even if it's stored correctly the first time. Every time you re-visit a memory, you alter it slightly. It's the reason eye-witness testimony from uninvolved witnesses, let alone people with emotional involvement, is incredibly unreliable.

There are numerous studies on just how easy it is to create memories of events that never happened, on how self-serving memory ultimately is, and how unreliable memory is when it comes to identifying key parts of crimes. This is even more true for people with previous trauma in their lives. And in a significant portion, though certainly not all, cases of rape and sexual assault, come down to the memories of both people involved. That makes me extremely uncomfortable, particularly when people say that we should legally just "believe women." As a woman, my memory is not somehow more pure/less prone to being wrong than that of a man.

The downside is given this and our presumption of innocence system, that means many people who did commit rape end up walking free because there's simply no way to prove it. I wish I could come up with an answer there, but IMO it's far too easy to weaponize presumption of guilt for me to want to flip the burden.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not to belittle anyone, but what percentage of women are psychos?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

From first hand experience, 73.5%

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've experienced two nymphomaniacs, which is a good, make that great, kind of psycho.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted