1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJW influence on word meanings in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 21, 2017.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

0-f0r-6

Maybe you just aren't ready to handle big league stuff, kid.

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

human trafficking

NOUN
    mass noun
    • The action or practice of illegally transporting people from one country or area to another, typically for the purposes of forced labour or sexual exploitation.

‘she is a victim of human trafficking’

Human trafficking crackdown nets more than 500 arrests statewide

If people were actually being transported into forced sex , it would be a big deal right? I don't think that is what is happening in the article posted above. Prostitution, not trafficking, is described. The laziness of binary writing forces out reasoned common sense, alas.

You can argue for legal prostitution, you cannot for slavery.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"The pimps know who to look for," said sheriff's Lt. Kent Wegener. "They know who is able to be exploited … who is easy to manipulate."
    Once the victim is under their power, traffickers typically control what they eat, where they sleep, who they see and where they live.

"If they don't do exactly what the pimp wants, they are met with violence," Wegener said.

www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/what-is-human-trafficking.html

Article 3, paragraph (a) of the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons defines Trafficking in Persons as the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs

Even by your own definition, forced prostitution is correctly referred to as "human trafficking."

I'm just as interested in the phrase "social justice warrior," or "SJW."

What exactly does that mean?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    SnarkShark likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I would have to assume it is someone who is literally going to war over social justice. Firearms, tanks, bombs, and all.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When I read "warrior," I think first of a Sioux or Cheyenne brave on a spotted pony.

Draft saved Draft deleted