1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJW influence on word meanings in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This thread needs to go on forever.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Every time I see someone use "SJW," I assume what follows is going to be the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Haven't been disappointed.

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Blue Jays’ Kevin Pillar suspended two games for homophobic slur | Toronto Star

ho·mo·pho·bic
    ˌhōməˈfōbik/
    adjective
    1. having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

Decades ago, probably in grade school I was taught that a word with identical spelling and pronunciation can have a different meaning depending upon the context of its useage. This apparently is no longer accepted.

It is common knowledge that the use of the word faggot against an opposing athlete does not mean the speaker is disapproving of the opponent for being a homosexual. It means he is criticizing him for a perceived lack of manliness/courage. In this context the word is synonymous with pussy or bitch. Of course this usage is based on a stereotype of gay people and I understand why they would object to its use in this context. It's interesting that while pussy and bitch are based on a similar stereotype about women, its useage in this context is not yet considered, as far as I know, to be misogynist.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Is this SportsJournalists.com or one of those insane Bill Nye episodes from Netflix?

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You seem very enlightened for a dude from the 1910s.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

People will say things in the heat of the moment that they think are the most hurtful to the other person. No need to read into it any further than that, but of course people will.

8. Just the facts ma am

I don't get it.

Anyway, for fun, here are some gay/feminine related words you can use against an opposing male athlete on camera that will not get you suspended. Usually they will be prefixed by "You fucking".

Bitch and Pussy (aforementioned)
    Motherfucker
    Douchebag
    Asshole
    C-word (censored here)
    Cocksucker

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought faggot was a cigarette.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

It used to be. Now it means something else.

12. Just the facts ma am

Draft saved Draft deleted