1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJW influence on word meanings in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Who are, quite literally, justice warriors. Maybe OP was right.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Hmmm, the reminds me of the times sports fans compare headlines or tweets from ESPN.

"In this headline, team x 'dominated' team y in a 11-point win. In that on, my team 'held off' team a in an 11-point win. That's some bias and disrespect."

We're good at spotting things that annoy us. The man is factually an accused kidnapper. We can argue that fact shouldn't be given the weight it is, but to imagine it's the damn SJWs reflects one's outlook more than reality.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Except ESPN really does that.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

[

So says almost every fan base, to the point where it's just folks feeling disrespected because they enjoy righteous indignation. Until is see something semi-comprehensive, I'll assume that's sour grapes.

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Perhaps SJW was the wrong choice of words. A better choice would be the increasing "who will save the children" movement, which because I live in California, I may overly attribute to liberal politics.

Here's another example from California which is overwhelmingly common now for law enforcement and reporting. Teenage prostitutes no longer exist. Whatever the actual situation they are now victims of child sex trafficking. They are no longer arrested or face any legal sanctions. I am totally fine with that but again the language is imprecise and overly broad as opposed to saying "the teenager was forced into prostitution by her pimp". Come on, some teenagers become prostitutes voluntarily for the money. Some don't have pimps.

Sigh, Old man yells at cloud I guess.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. cisforkoke

I am stunned that the vigilantes have not stormed this thread yet.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You should stop digging.

This example is far worse.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I think this thread geared toward the board anthropologists, linguists, and sociologists.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The "save the children" instinct can get a little heavy handed, but when a teacher seduces a 15-year-old student into skipping town with him and taking off cross country to sleep with him at an isolated commune, that is a very literal case of a child that needs saving.

10. cisforkoke

And when the genders are reversed, the board pervert gets his jollies posting about it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. cisforkoke

Never posted about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted