1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJW influence on word meanings in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

"kidnap

[kid-nap]
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    verb (used with object), kidnapped or kidnaped, kidnapping or kidnaping.
    1. to steal, carry off, or abduct by force or fraud, especially for use as a hostage or to extract ransom."

Above is the traditional meaning of the word and I can't recall it being used differently say, more than ten years ago.

But now it is also used if a minor voluntary leaves home to take up with an older person. Not condoning this behavior or saying it should be legal, but I find it confusing when I read stories like this, where if you read between the lines, the above is what happened.

Former teacher accused of kidnapping ‘troubled’ teenager captured at a remote California cabin

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mothers across the country believe he kidnapped her, not SJWs.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Guy will in fact charged with kidnapping. That is the name of one of the charges.

So unless those rascal SJW's named the Tennessee statute, this is a thread that's deeply pointless.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    inthesuburbs likes this.
  4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

What mothers across the county believe is irrelevant to the facts. The evolution of charges is certainly a factor, but I would argue that is also a product of SJW influence.

My point, if not clear, is there is a factual difference between abducting someone by force or fraud and persuading someone to accompany you by persuasion, charm or guile. When I read a story I am interested in the facts; I do not wish to have to read between the lines to guess at them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    SFIND likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

She's a child. A kid in the eyes of the law. She's not considered old enough to be responsible for herself. So any adult who beguiles them and takes them anywhere is kidnapping them. Those are facts. Social justice warriors? Come on, you're creating a straw man here.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, your point is SJWs are pussies for saying something you don't like. Of course, they had nothing to do with it, and the point you think you are making is bullshit anyway.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A teacher takes a 15-year-old across the country to have sex with her...those damn liberal SJW cucks are to blame.

inthesuburbs, Rhody31 and SnarkShark like this.
  8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

SJWs are guilty of many things, including being pussies sometimes.

They are not guilty of this.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you can't force your will, sexual or otherwise, on children, then the very fabric of America unravels.

10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Based on where they were found, I bet they played Miner 2049er.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's not SJW influence. It's the lack of curmudgeonly old copy editors holding the line on imprecise language that's caused this.

He hasn't been charged with kidnapping, although he may eventually be. If she went willingly, that will be hard to charge under Tennessee law.

He has been charged with transporting a minor across state lines with intent to engage in sexual activity. That's a charge that's hard to translate into shorthand and since "kidnapping" seems close, and there's no one around to point out the imprecision, that's what you get.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's prosecutors.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted