1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ World, Tell me What to Do

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Apr 29, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Cool. When's dinner?

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Have the steaks cut thick (1 1/2 or thicker). You can almost never find those in the store and it's a whole different grilling experience.

How experienced is the Legume cook? If less desirable cuts can be braised for a long time, they're some of the most flavorful. But, because they're tough if cooked quickly, they sometimes end up in the grinding tub.

The reason that steaks, roasts, short ribs, tenderloin, etc., is so expensive is that there isn't all that much of it. If you have the knowledge to cook the less-expensive cuts, they are wonderful too.

You might be able to specify the percentage of fat in your hamburger. (There's going to be more hamburger than most folks expect.)

You might also ask if you can have bones that are worthy of soup so you can roast them and make rich stock.

Definitely talk with butcher he should know the best use of the side if you tell him what you best like to eat.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

That's what Marcia said ...

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Thanks for the help. I think we'll just go with the recommended set up. I know it's a lot of meat. That is not a problem, I love to grill and barbecue and this much meat will give me some room to experiment.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I have GOT to use that as a pick-up line

6. Dirk Legume

I almost put "that's what she said" after that.

But MM, you had the courage I did not. ;)

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just the gift tax alone that you will pay on the cow makes it not worth it.

Keep a couple of the choice steaks and donate the rest. You will help a lot of less fortunate and get a nice tax deduction besides.

You will never use that much meat. The first day that you lose electricity you will be wondering from then on if the meat is still good.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Definitely agree with this advice. Thick steaks are great, and for some reason they only come at a premium price.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Tri-tip is growing in popularity, but it's still mostly a California thing. The cut originated in Santa Maria.
    Tell him you want the tri-tip.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So he can't cut it like they do for fajitas -- half steak, half chicken and the other half shrimp?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Dirk Legume

Boom, you make a good point. In fact, my wife was reading over my shoulder and said "that guy makes a good point."

And I always listen to her...safer that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted