1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ World, Tell me What to Do

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

So, after years of buying Girl Scout cookies, raffle tickets for little league, sponsoring kids in jump-a-thons, walk-a-thons and any other kind of "thon" you can think of, after eating at almost every restaurant in town on "10 percent goes to our organization" nights, it all paid off.

Last night, the Legume name was drawn as the winner of the annual high school softball team raffle.

And we now own a side of beef! :eek:

I could not have been happier to win any prize, truly.

So, we have to meet with the owners of the meat market and tell them how we want it prepared, and I have no idea. I do like to grill, and barbecue, so obviously, there should be steaks, but after that, I don't know.

So how do we want to do this?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What are you asking us for? Ask the butcher.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would arrange to donate it to a food bank in the area.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh. Sure. If you want to do the right thing.

But who's to say the Legume family isn't in need? The very name "Legume" is French for "we can't afford meat."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you have a freezer, Beans?

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

When I covered preps, I used to enter the 50/50 raffle at every damn event. I won exactly once, at a weekday baseball playoff game. I think it was $9.

Why couldn't I win a side of beef?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Tri-tip

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

From "Tommy Boy":

Tommy: Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?
    Mr. Brady, Customer: [confused] What? I'm failing to make the connection here.
    Tommy: No, I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull.
    Richard: [embarrassed] Wow.

9. FTW.

And Ace asks a poignant question. If you don't own a freezer, an entire side of beef will go to waste.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It would be kind of ironic if you had to buy a freezer because you won something.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

It would indeed, be ironic, but not necessary. We have a freezer.

I will be talking to the butcher about it, but figured there may be some advice out there about the best way to have it cut up.

And while it would be an amazing gesture to donate it to the local food closet, I just don't have that kind of altruism in me when it comes to steak.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can pick up a good chest freezer in a classifieds for next to nothing.

All you need now is a garage. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted