1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ user SteveU had a stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Ok so an update: co-worker visited Steve at the place he’s staying at now. He was responding to commands and voices yesterday. Watching the British Open. Coughing up crap out of his tube (was told that was good news). Actually looking much better. So this is a step forward. Had another co-worker last week go play some music for him. I can’t go again this week because I’ve had a death in my family I’m heading down to Columbus for today but he IS making some good progress. There is no way we are out of the woods and it still is a long way to go, but I thought everyone who was interested would want to know what’s going on.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update and sorry for your loss Waldo.

Hope Steve keeps making forward progress.

VB

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He can't speak, or swallow, right?

Any paralysis?

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

No. Not that I’m aware of at this time.

He can move his extremities. He gave a thumbs up yesterday.

lakefront likes this.
  5. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

One of my best friends had a stroke when he was 31. Doctors attributed it to his frequent cracking of his neck.

That was eight years ago. Totally fine now. Doesn't crack his neck anymore.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Jesus H Christ I’ve done that before. Crack my neck that is.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You know how somebody can post something that makes you wonder if you'll ever go to sleep again? Telling me I could have a stroke in my 30s because I cracked my neck is one of those things.

8. Vombatus

Don’t let a chiropractor do it either.

SpeedTchr and Hermes like this.
  9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Another update:

Just now left Steve's room at Advanced Speciality. He was about to have lunch -- the gravy smelled especially good.
    He looked better than when I last saw him, maybe 10 days ago. When I asked if I could pull up a chair and hang around, he said "OK." I took that to be a good sign.
    Mostly, he rested.
    I'll stop back later this week.

It wasn’t me but from one of our retirees in the Guild who has never met the guy until this situation came to be.

But definitely worthy to let you guys know.

Dyno, goalmouth, Fly and 1 other person like this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Link?

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

12. Vombatus

I was warned by a very well trained physical therapist, and I looked it up when I was told about it.

Spartan’s link is one of many. Generally, the older you are, the more of a bad idea it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted