1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Transactions: The Sporting News ***

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 8, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I call it "Nice work if you can get it."

But there's nothing out of line about calling him on it.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More:

Hired Craig Custance of Atlanta Journal-Constitution to cover the NHL.

3. BuckeyeGA

BuckeyeGA New Member

Jeff D'Alessio seems to be making some strong early moves. But who will he get to replace Tom Deinhart on CFB? I've heard some rumors about guys they've talked to but no moves have been made yet.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Apples and oranges.
    Those city biz journals have relatively low editorial costs and are absolutely loaded with local financial service/law firm/real estate & developer ads. They have no real competition beyond a daily paper that may or may not be committed to business coverage, and they often, some say, have a rather cozy relationship with their advertisers.
    The Sporting News is fighting at a national level with the likes of SI and ESPN, plus metro papers and blogs. To report effectively, they'd need top-notch talent and a sizable travel budget, and that's expensive. And there's not much of a natural local advertising market, unlike the biz journals. Much less of a niche publication. I wish TSN well, but what's their angle?

5. Babs

Babs Member

Yeah, I don't get it. That pretty much sums it up.

6. ateri

ateri New Member

Well, if Babs doesn't get it, TSN might as well just shut down because it has no chance. Why not just wait and see what they come up with? The negativity on this board is a real downer.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Bradley is a great hire. He deserves this after serving all those years in journalism hell (Gainesville and Gannett).

Great guy who will do a great job.

8. Moderator1

Another one:

Hired Dave Curtis of Orlando Sentinel to cover college football, bringing the outside hire total to 5

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Seems to me the angle is to make life miserable for JaredK, whose hatred of Sporting News is boundless and irrational. He's been on this site for years bashing the product and anything associated with it.
    Nice to see you rooting for the business, sir.

10. Moderator1

Interesting that Curtis apparently also had an offer from ESPN and chose TSN. That says something, to me anyway.

11. ateri

ateri New Member

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Don't know what the offer from ESPN was, but it's doubtful it involved being a main cog in national coverage of college FB. The TSN gig I think has a bit more national juice.

Draft saved Draft deleted