1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Tech Support: Help!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have an external hard drive next to my computer. Once a month, Apple's Backup does exactly that for us.

Tonight, while I'm sitting here, the drive has started making this clicking sound. Before, it only did that when you booted it up. When the icon would first appear on the screen, the drive itself would make a click. But now it's doing it repeatedly, and it sounds like I can hear something spinning in there.

WTF?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm not an Apple guy, but it sounds like your hard drive might be getting ready to self-immolate. If there's anything on there that isn't backed up on your computer, you might want to copy it over there, asap.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Check to make sure the fan (if there is one) is not blocked and is operating properly.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

All of the above.

There could be dust caught in there, the drive could also be on the road to puke-dom.

Back up your back up, check the vents, check for dust and if after doing all that it still makes noise, I would look at getting a new external hard drive.

There's also tests you can run which check the condition of a hard drive, but only know of PC versions, not any Mac. Sorry 'bout that.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Apple's built-in Disk Utility can check the disk for you. But yeah, clicking usually is the sound of impending doom.

Draft saved Draft deleted