1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ, settle a debate for me. Montana or Brady?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This isn't a thread for "Who is the greatest QB of all time: Montana or Brady". This thread is "Who has had the better career up to this point: Montana or Brady?"

The reason I bring this up is simple. A buddy of mine, a diehard 49ers fan, and I were going at it yesterday because she started tearing Brady apart for sucking so much this season, not being able to hit an open receiver, yada yada yada. Of course, this was all before the 49ers gave up that final TD pass. So, naturally, I started ragging on her about the 49ers and generally pissing her off.

So the conversation turns to Brady. She says he's done, he's got nothing left and that it's all Gisele's fault. I think she's obnoxiously wrong but, I admit, it's the fanboi looser in me that likes to see things in a pretty light. I know Brady's struggling right now, I know he missed a ton of open receivers vs. the Falcons. But I still think he's one of the best QBs in the league.

Then the debate turns to Montana vs. Brady. Now, obviously, we can't know which QB had the better overall career because Brady's still active. But so far, I feel Brady has had a more impressive run in his nine years in the league than Montana did (And yes, I'm counting the year he missed last season against him).

One of my other friends, who's a Pats fan, did some research and came up with the numbers.

SJ Nation, I ask you to solve this. At this point in his career, does Brady have a case vs. Montana. I ask you to consider not only the SB wins and the accomplishments but the fact that until recently Brady didn't have a real No. 1 or No. 2 receiver. I also ask you to consider how strong the 49er defense was while Montana was collecting his rings and the fact that if the Patriots had been able to prevent a miracle catch and Ellis Hobbs didn't just give up vs. Burress, Brady would have had a perfect season and ring No. 4.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Hannah Montana vs. Cindy Brady is a more interesting debate.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Montana had 139 INTs for his whole career.

You have him with 142 INTs through 9 years (he had 72).

That's 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. Montana wins.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good question. Montana had some great running backs (Roger Craig was one of the toughest ballbusters I ever watched), which is why his passing numbers aren't as good as Brady's.

The 35-second mark, still haunts me. Those Rams teams couldn't tackle a tackle dummy.

But back to the debate ... difficult to say one way or the other. Montana never lost a Super Bowl.

I think Brady is great. But he's still playing and has a handful of years left. It's better to wait till he's done before giving an answer.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You cannot compare stats from the 80s to stats today. It was pretty rare to have a 1,000-yard rusher and a 3,000-yard passer in the 80s, today you have 10-15 every year.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Montana was also never on a team that ran up the score like the Pats did in 2007.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Montana was better on SNL. Though he did have a better supporting cast and better writing.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They won't disturb him. He'll be up in his room masturbating.

9. schiezainc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXIV
    Also, in that year, the 49ers beat the Falcons by the scores of 45-3 and 48-10.

In 1988, they beat the Seahawks 38-7 and the Chargers 48-10.

10. Songbird

Steve Young was the QB in the win over the Chargers.

11. schiezainc

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198811270sdg.htm

12. Songbird

I thought you meant the '95 Super Bowl.

That said, the last 3 touchdowns were rushing TDs, so it's not like they were rubbing it in through the air, which is more of a definition of running up the score.

Draft saved Draft deleted