1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ of California

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, May 18, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

PM me as well. I lived in SoCal for 30-plus years and know it well.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Damn. That sucks. I've sent out a few resumes to a few employers via the Orange County Craigslist. I mean, this is something I'm pondering, not really set in stone by any means. But would love to make it happen.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Valencia is a good 50 miles from the ocean. Its about as far as you can get from LA while still being considered in the metropolitan area. Not a bad community. Its northeast of LA whereas Huntington Beach is in the southwest. Also consider that in the beach areas those dinky 1500 sq. ft. houses still run nearly $800k I believe. Sorry for the bad news but you've picked the best place to live and the farthest area away to work.

4. Madhavok

Dang, well that's a shame. It's just one skate/snowboard shop that was hiring and looked interesting. I suppose I'll try in actual Huntington area for a job. Thanks, ha !

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be hard finding a job at Pollo Loco since they outnumber In-n-Outs by about 20:1 in SoCal.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Valencia is also about 102 degrees in the summer.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You don't want surprises when it comes to finding a place to live in the summer in So Cal. You may end up being surprised to find that the address that sounds good on paper can actually get you killed, or at minimum, miserable. Before you even think about accepting a job, or a living space, check with some of us so cal regulars on this board for details on your area.

8. Madhavok

Oh, come on now, this isn't my first rodeo (moving to a place I had little or no info about). I've been researching the area for a few days, talking to some of my friends who live in North Hollywood and Burbank and I've gotten some good insight. Obviously I'm not going to take the first place or job that comes my way without getting every little detail about it.

I do appreciate the concern, really do. This is actually starting to look like it won't happen, probably next summer since some random stuff just came up yesterday. *sigh*

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Valencia's major enterprise is Six Flags Magic Mountain, which has been holding off full-scale closure for several years and is in worse shape now.
    North Hollywood and Burbank also are a long haul to the beach.
    Didn't want to burst your bubble from your original post, but, having lived here all my life, I thought it seemed a little irrational and impulsive.
    Keep this dream alive but have a better plan next time.
    And, as far as your dream is concerned, you should know that Huntington is probably No. 2 to Malibu for summer fun. I remember reading in an entertainment mag a few years ago, David Hasselhoff talking about what goes on during the filming of Baywatch. He said they just couldn't film at Huntington because there were so many hot babes around the crew members couldn't concentrate on what they were supposed to be doing. There were a hundred girls better looking than the best-looking girls on the cast.

10. Madhavok

Yeah, I think next summer is more likely. I mean, rent is awfully close to what I'm paying now in Breck, probably the same, so that's not an issue. I think what I'm going to do this summer is just trek out there and camp for a few days and relax, get a feel for the area and come back next year with more of a solid plan. I was supposed to be in Mammoth for SuperPark but I blew out my shoulder a few weeks ago and part of that was trekking to Huntington and such. You guys have been grrrrreat

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I've lived here fifteen years and the best thing Magic Mountain could do is take their dancing old man, say buh-bye and turn that property into something else. They shoulda done this two years ago, when Valencia was at its peak, real estate-wise. Attendance has been in the crapper since 9/11 (as it has been for all amusement parks) and there's usually a few stabbings in the parking lot every year.

Your chances of landing a job at El Pollo Loco are slim-to-nil unless you're Hispanic. I don't think I've seen anything but Hispanics working there, and I go to EPL once a week (the only fast food I eat).

Draft saved Draft deleted