1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Nation, need some help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

I've been on vacation in New York for almost a month now and my good friend has had my car in his care. He only drives it to go to the grocery store or to the ski resort that has been open for a bit now. Having said that, a construction worker/owner/carpenter has his trailer parked behind most of the cars on the other side of the small lot.

So my friend woke up to go put air in one of my tires and fill it up with gas and noticed a note on the windshield. It read: 'Hey so and so, could you please call me at this number regarding the dent in my trailer that you put there on October 9, 2009. Please do so and let us work it out before I have to call the police'.

My friend called and left a message. The guy in question called back and left another message on my friend's phone - nothing like some fun phone tag eh?

Regardless, this guy is claiming my friend backed into his trailer and put a dent in it, on October 9. First of all, there is no damage on my car minus the normal scrapes that have been there well before this alleged event happened. Second of all, it's a small area and he would be driving very, very slow backing up. Even if it did happen, there would be some sort of damage like a dent in my bumper. Third, why did this guy wait two weeks to leave a note? My friend is a very, very careful driver and probably has only used it at the very most, 10 times.

Does this guy even have a case? I'm 2,000 miles away and wont' be back until November 4. I'm hoping to hear back from my friend a little bit later today.

Thanks. *ugh*

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I like the second choice, let the guy call the police.

3. Sandoval

Sandoval Member

Exactly. Assuming that there isn't any corresponding damage to your car, how could he prove it was your car that caused the dent? Have your friend ask the guy why he thinks it was your car that cause the damage. Short of video evidence, I don't think he has much of a case.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tell your friend to be very polite- not admit guilt and tell trailer owner that he will have to wait till car owner returns from trip to resolve since its not his car.

If guy goes to the police so what, unless he has witness or on video he has no case.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One other thought - if available have him park car somewhere else for now.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

OK. Thanks for the insight. Also, some updates: the guy in question moved his trailer today after dropping off the note. So my friend can't look to see where the dent is. My friend was also working 9-6 the day of the alleged event while the guys were there working. He walks to work if it wasn't noted earlier. The guys are there doing work from 7-ish to usually five or so. This could not have happened. *knock on wood* I told my friend if the guy gives you any more shit to call the police.

As noted, there are some scratches on my back bumper and sides from just normal wear and tear. The car is 10 years old and gets some abuse back there from the winters here in Colorado. I mean, it's unavoidable (at least with me) not to back into a snow bank at work. There are no dents whatsoever.

edit number two: the note said 'during the week of Oct. 9'

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are a terrible driver and so is your friend.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the trailer guy just noticed a dent and is fishing.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would have contributed, but that usage of "nation" is so trite.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Sorry, had some Michelle Beadle on mind when doing the post.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I highly doubt the cops would even come out to take a report, considering it's already two weeks old.

Which also means there's been two weeks of time in which the alleged damage could have been caused after that date.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Yeah. We'll see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted