1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Heisman balloting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 29, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody who is completely taken out of a game against a very average Auburn team should win. Not even close.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hope you did that on purpose. :)

Also, without Ingram, Bama would still have a back (or two) who could rush for more than 1,000 yards. I know the Heisman isn't an MVP award, but still, it's worth noting, I think.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

1) Tim Tebow
    2) Toby Gerhart
    3) Colt McCoy

While the numbers haven't been as flashy this season. Tebow has carried his team to win after win after win. In the utter glare of the national spotlight, he hasn't blinked.
    I'm not a Tebow lover and not even close, but what he's done under the level of scrutiny is astounding. And for the last four years. I know, I know it is not a career award, but the other guys...
    Ingram isn't even the best offensive player at 'Bama this season. Gerhart, not a soul knew who he was at the start or even by mid-season. McCoy has been up there, but, like Ingram, he's not the best offensive player on his team.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was a typo. ;D

I would have liked to see McCoy win it, but that's not happening. As long as Tebow doesn't win, I'm happy.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know the Heisman has been a career-achievement award at times, but it shouldn't be. It shouldn't matter one bit that nobody knew who Gerhart was a couple of months ago.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I still think it largely depends on what happens Saturday.
    Tebow, Ingram or McCoy could win on one signature effort in one of the title games.
    The thing with Tebow is that so many people are actively rooting against him. People want him to fail or find out he has coke-fueled hooker binges or something.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I remember when Barry Sanders came out of nowhere to win it. I'm hoping Gerhart does the same because he's been dominant against the toughest opponents (Ore, USC, Cal, ND) and late in the year.

I find it hard to believe that he's not generating more enthusiasm; watching him bowl over people harkens back to what made Earl Campbell so fun to watch. These types of runners have been few and far between the past 15 years.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The DAC usually invites 4 or 5 players to the announcement.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The DAC doesn't even exist anymore. The award is given by the Heisman Trust. And the number of players invited is determined by the points players get from voters. They have had as few as three and as many as six there. Unless Spiller and Gerhart are getting significant numbers of votes from people who have them ahead of McCoy, Ingram and Tebow (who I think will get a lot of votes), they won't be invited. My guess is Gerhart will be there, and is at least a somewhat serious contender. I am not sure about Spiller.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ingram, Tebow, McCoy and Gerhart will probably be the only ones invited. And Gerhart will get one only if this weekend if uneventful for the other three.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

sonner, how much you wanna bet gerhart gets invited?

Draft saved Draft deleted