1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Heisman balloting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

Gotcha. For what it's worth, I think Spiller is the better player than Ingram. Maybe not the better back, but he's the better all-around guy for sure. I was just wondering why you dropped Ingram and not Spiller, since they both had similar performances last week.

Of course, Spiller's can be discounted a little since Clemson basically had to resort the air about midway through the second quarter, but he wasn't good even when he was getting the ball.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The only thing about Tate is that there are at least three receivers (Shipley, Alexander and Barnes) that are at least as good, if not better.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with both of those assessments. Spiller is a more explosive runner. Ingram plays for a better team. The only thing that is driving me batshit insane this year is that Colt McCoy might win the award. I really don't see him as deserving. I am not just on a Gerhart-come-lately bandwagon. I have watched every one of Stanford's games this year, either live or within a few days. Gerhart has carried that team (Andrew Luck to a smaller extent) to a much better record than they would have without him. You watch him at first and you see him lowering the shoulder and taking on linebackers. Then you see him break a few and when he gets into ths secondary he is creating separation and you realize he is faster than you'd guess from his build (he is as close to looking like a fullback as a halfback). I hate to make the white-white comparison, but he reminds me a lot of Mike Alstott, but will probably be an even better pro because he's faster. Not spectacular, but steady as brushing your teeth in the morning.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That inconsistent, huh?[/westvirginian][/hiowlhead]

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just as guilty of the white-white comparison, but he reminds me of Alstott, too, especially with the way he punishes tacklers. I don't know how long he can last in the NFL with that style, but he should be good while it lasts.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I know this is all for fun, but any real voter who makes a decision before Saturday's games is foolish.

When is the deadline anyway? I'm under the impression that you can send it off Sunday morning and still be OK. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ballots are due the 7th. And yeah, there are still games left. This is just a discussion for where we are right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Crash

Crash Active Member

Obviously. I mean if Spiller or Ingram goes off for 150 yards and a couple scores, then they're going to move up. If Tebow or McCoy absolutely dominates the championship game, they will move up. This weekend is going to go a long way toward determining who will go to New York, since at least three candidates are playing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. ripple

ripple Member

I don't quite get your logic here. Alabama is the one school you mentioned that would be dominating without its Heisman candidate. Perhaps UT. I haven't watched them much this year.

But that Alabama team is loaded. It's unbelievable how Saban has elevated that program in such a short time.

By your logic, I think the top three should be Gerhart, Tebow, Keenum.

That said, I think the top three are McCoy, Gerhart, Tebow.

10. 1) Gerhart, Stanford
    2) McCoy, Texas
    3) Ndamakong Suh, Nebraska

Gerhart is not a "white" running back, he's a great running back. Excellent change of direction, cutback into the hole, incredible balance and better than average speed. He can get 5 yards a crack thanks to great vision, or he can break one. About halfway through the season I started DVR'ing every Stanford game I could get -- love the run game -- and he's the real deal. People just see the skin color, and the "finish" hits and the brain stops thinking right there. Like the TV announcers trying to say Jordan Shipley of Texas is a great route-runner, but not that fast (check the 40 time, people). Stereotypes live on.

Most impressive thing about Gerhart is for the last three games he's looked dead on his feet between every play. Against Oregon it looked like he was hoping someone would just tackle him already because he was too tired to run any more. I'm betting he's beat to hell, and with a month off to rest, will run wild in a bowl game.

Love watching Stanford run that old-fashioned 47 Power play.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Charles Woodson would still win...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For a player on the west coast to win, it's got to be so ridiculously obvious that it's a no-brainer, like Palmer, Leinart and Bush were. I'll bet there are writers on the east coast who have never seen Gerhart play.

The Bama kid should win and will sin.

Draft saved Draft deleted